HDMI Question

JoshuaJay

Troll Patrol
I just ordered a new 40" 1080p LCD (so stoked!).

I'll be mainly using it for PS3 Gaming and Internet Streaming video.

So, my question. I have HDMI cables already, but I got them a couple years a go. Do I need to get new ones that are 'better, faster' to get the most out of my new TV? Or is an HDMI Cable an HDMI Cable regardless....

Haha Hey Mike long time no see bud.

Yeah the gold plated is what I was talking about, they claim they have 'super fast' connection so I wasn't sure if it was better or what...

Guys come on Best Buy says Monster makes the best cables

I hope that's sarcasm lol.

Anyway... gold plated is good because it's a more conductive metal, so it will provide a better connection for transfer.

High-Speed HDMI cables are a bit different of a revision, and have a higher max data throughput. Honestly, I would get a gold plated HDMI cable, about 24 or 26AWG. 28AWG is a big too thin for some stuff, unless you're traveling a short distance.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Monoprice is awesome btw. Great prices.

Gold plated connectors do NOT increase transfer speed to any measurable amount which would concern any user.
If the cable was gold lined, that may be a different story, but gold plated connectors are not for transfer speed. They are for longevity and a proper fit. Unlike steel, aluminum, or nickel, gold has a bit of rigidity, while maintaining toughness. Thus, as you connect the ends of the HDMI cable, it flexes a little, but bends back to shape once unplugged.
Gold is highly conductive, but unless gold is though out the cable, the cable is impeded by the highest resistance wire.

I hope that's sarcasm lol.

Anyway... gold plated is good because it's a more conductive metal, so it will provide a better connection for transfer.

High-Speed HDMI cables are a bit different of a revision, and have a higher max data throughput. Honestly, I would get a gold plated HDMI cable, about 24 or 26AWG. 28AWG is a big too thin for some stuff, unless you're traveling a short distance.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Monoprice is awesome btw. Great prices.

This 24 and 26AWG stuff is foreign to me... What's that mean and what difference does it make?

Are these differences compared to my standard HDMI cable going to be noticeable to the naked eye on a display that big? I looked on my cables, they don't have numbers anywhere on them haha.

EDIT: I looked up my invoice from when I bought the original cables... I currently have:

ROSE RCW-H9035 6FT HDMI CABLE 30AWG
6FT HDMI CABLE ROSE RC-6-HDMI-MM-BK

They 'look' gold plated... But they could just as easily be copper.

This 24 and 26AWG stuff is foreign to me... What's that mean and what difference does it make?

Are these differences compared to my standard HDMI cable going to be noticeable to the naked eye on a display that big? I looked on my cables, they don't have numbers anywhere on them haha.

EDIT: I looked up my invoice from when I bought the original cables... I currently have:

ROSE RCW-H9035 6FT HDMI CABLE 30AWG
6FT HDMI CABLE ROSE RC-6-HDMI-MM-BK

They 'look' gold plated... But they could just as easily be copper.

AWG is guage of the wire. The thicker the wire (lower the number), the more electricity it can carry (less resistance I believe compared to a thin wire, IIRC).

Back
Top Bottom