AMD 2600+ Processor Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraserb

Beta member
I'm pretty new to building my pc, and I just bought a very bare bones system with an ECS L7S7A2 motherboard and AMD 2600+ processor. The only cooling I have is the AMD approve heatsink and I am noticing that the CPU temperture stays around 70-74 degrees C. which seems a little high. Is this running too hot? If so, what would you suggest to help me cool down.

Thanks,
Barry

HOLY CRAP THATS HOT!

Turn it off now and get a better HSF.

I would also suggest a Powersupply with exaust and INTAKE fans.

45-50 Degreeds C is normal.

No offense, but did you forget to pull the tab at the bottom of the heatsink?

85 degrees celsius is the max. operating temperature of the proc., and it would be advisable to buy some case fans - an exhaust through a mount point on the back, and an intake either on the side or front (depending on where mount points are available).

Try cleaning up some case space to improve airflow, and maybe switch to using round cables. You can also tube the cables as well.

The stock cooler shouldn't be taxing the processor that high.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will be installing an intake and exhaust fan tonight and am hoping this will take care of the problem. If not, I'll check that the heatsink is seated properly and be sure the vendor put thermal paste on. I'll let you know what happens.

Barry

OK, I installed an exhaust and intake fan and the CPU temperature is running pretty consistently at 59-60 degrees C. CPU voltage at 1.632. Better but still high. Do you think it would make a major difference if I replaced my heatsink with say a better quality one, maybe the Thermaltake Volcano 7 heatsink?

My configuration:

ECS L7S7A2 motherboard
AMD 2600
512 DDR400
WD 40 Gig HD
Geoforce 64 meg video card
Sony CD-RW
300 W Power Supply
5 USB 1.1 devices (Printer, Scanner, Mouse, Flash Card Reader, Dazzle DVC-100)

DEFINITLY!

The HSF combo is the most important part of system cooling. Spend no less than $20 on one and you will be happy.

along the same lines: yea i added a 3rd hardive to my computer bringing standard temp from 45 degrees to around 50.....im plannin on OCing soon, so should i get more case fans? or should i gwt a better Heatsink + grease? oh btw, its a 2400+

I would add both, if i was having the same problem/condition/predicament. you can never be too sure...just my opinion

Definitely get a better HSF if you're overclocking - your current case fans should keep the airflow going. The most important thing is to have a good HSF. I would also recommend good thermal grease - just a thin coat on the CPU before you mount the HSF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom