Icacls and Cacls.exe

luke127

The Ghost
Okay can I just ask what exactly do these things do. I know they are the DOS version of changing a files permissions. However how could I use these on a USB or External Drive to make it more secure etc. I am also wishing to learn more about the syntax and how things should be written bla bla bla.

Anyone wish to enlighten me?

Not really a programming question, but w/e.

Currently, you can use the Xcacls.exe utility, the Cacls.exe utility, and the Xcacls.vbs utility to modify NTFS permissions in Windows Server 2003. The Icacls.exe utility is an alternative option for modifying NTFS permissions. The Icacls.exe utility resolves various issues that occur when you use the existing utilities
The Icacls.exe utility is available for Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2

Unless the drive is plugged into the same port all the time, the drive letter could change, and would essentially break the permissions you setup on it, and could interfere with other operations.

And syntax of what exactly? Different languages have different syntax, so it depends on what language you're talking about..

Well different commands require different syntax.

Example: Net user administrator /active:yes
if you do this net user administrator /active: yes it won't work. So this is what I am talking about. What letters commands and other things can you use?

Just type /? after the command you're trying to run and it'll tell you what switches you can use with it..

If you're wanting to know ALL the switches for EVERY command.. then you might as well just look up the commands in the MSDN library.

Back
Top Bottom