Total Newbie Wants to Build a Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

Solid State Member
I don't know much about computers so please pardon my ignorance, but I am trying to learn :) I was thinking about buying a new computer to replace my Dell Dimension 8250, and my friend suggested that I build one. Like I said before, I know next to nothing about computers, but I am mechanically inclined and I definitely think I could figure it out, and I enjoy building things so I'd rather do this then just get a computer that's already put together :)

I would use this computer for playing the new games that are coming out now like Half Life 2, Doom 3, etc. and I also play Counter-Strike, and games like the Command and Conquer series. I also surf the web, download music, movies, other basic stuff like that.

I already have the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers from my Dell, I assume I can reuse those. I like them, so I'd rather not spend the money on new ones if I don't have to.

I know that I need:

1. A case (doesn't have to be anything fancy, I don't really care if it has flashing lights and windows and all that other stuff)

2. Power supply

3. RAM (I think 1 gig should be enough, is that correct?)

4. Processor (I've heard AMD is better than Intel)

5. Motherboard

6. Graphics card (my friend suggested nvidia 6600, but I looked at Circuit City and Best Buy today and neither had it)

7. Cooling systems

8. Hard drive

9. CD rom/burner (dvd playibility isn't really necessary)

10. Operating system (windows xp seems to work fine for me, any reason not to keep using it?)

What would be the cost for all these parts? If I could do this for $800-$1000 that would be great. Thanks alot for taking the time to read/respond to this :)

Wow thanks for the quick response! That is a sweet looking case! If I were to buy these parts is there anything else I need? Like sound card? Maybe I can use the one out of my Dell? Also, do you know why I could not find the 6600? Is that an outdated card, or is it a new one that they don't have on the shelves yet?

Oh yeah, is 1 fan enough?

NewEgg's the best if you want to get everything in one place.

I agree with the above suggestion for a system. That should do pretty well for you as far as what you want to do with it.

If you would like a diffrerent case to put it all in you can always check Newegg.com for other ones as well. Just read the reviews and make sure the power supply is a good one.

For the most part computers are fairly simple to put together. To me if your read the instructions it's really no harder than putting a home theatre system together. You have several components that go together in a certain way...it's just the components are a little smaller. Your first time around the only part that might take a little time the first time around is the actual configuring your system in the Bios once its put together. But if you need help with Bios that what this forums's for.

Once you build you'll never go back to buying a system again.

As for sound card...most motherboards come with sound onboard, if you really want you can get an extra sound card but you don't have to. IF you do go with this

Thanks! All the parts don't necessarily have to come from one place, if I could save some money by buying parts from other sites or from Best Buy and Circuit City, those are right near my house also.

How can I tell if my speakers will connect to that motherboard?

Oh yeah, will I need anything else like screws, cables, etc? Or will all that stuff come with it?

IF your speaker have a small plug kinda like the ones on headphones you're fine. They're pretty much universal.

Most cases come with all the screws you'll need. If the motherboard is in a retail box it'll come with cables. Same for the hard drive... In fact I usually end up with extra cables because every component seems to come with extra stuff. I'd get a small toolkit though with small screwdrivers. Just look for a computer tool kit. Probably at Best Buy or circuit city.

If you like to shop Around Check Pricewatch.com

They list a lot of different retailer's prices on any component you might need with the shipping included.

Thanks, another question, is Windows XP a good operating system for my needs? Also, what is a good size power supply? I see the one with that case is 500 watts, it looks like 550 is the max they make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom