I have a pretty decent computer:

AMD64 3400+
MSI K8N Neo Platinum MB
1.5GB PC 2100 (3x512MB)
Sapphire X800XT Video Card
160GB 7200RPM WDC HDD
120GB 7200RPM WDC HDD
480W Thermaltake Power Supply

I've already ordered a pair of corsair TWINX 3200 chips to fix the RAM problem. So that may help. Why does my computer seem to operate so poorly on simple HL2 Timedemo benchmarks? I must have really messed something up. Is my memory the only thing holding me back??

At Anandtech's website they're cranking out 100+ FPS*, but I can't get even remotely close to that with my setup, with my max FPS in the timedemo on the Canal map at ~39. Any suggestions? I downloaded PowerStrip, to make sure my Video Card is clocked "as advertised". Power Strip reports GPU at 499.5MHz and the Memory at 499.5MHz, which sounds correct. I figure I must be doing something seriously wrong to get almost 75% less performance.

Even the X800Pro got 75FPS in a test, and I should do about 30%better (theoretically). Once again, any help or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J.

*Their reference machine is an Athlon 64 4000+, MSI's K8N Neo2, as well as 1GB of OCZ DDR400 memory running at 2-2-2-10

Your RAM doesn't have the best timings, but I don't think it would cause that much of a problem. Have you installed your mobo's chipset drivers? This can make all the difference in performance.

Well that RAM is insanely slow compared to a 1gb kit of PC3200 running in Dual Channel and considering the system you have being that it's an AMD64 and all and that motherboard has a system bus max of 800 I believe, I think that RAM is SEVERELY killing and bottlenecking your system. Wait for that PC3200 to get there and post back and see what the difference is. More than likely you'll be quite shocked

I'm sorry, I misread. I thought he said he had PC3200 at 2-2-2-10 timings....my bad (Yesterday wasn't my sharpest of days :p) . I didn't realize he had PC2100 :shocked: Yea, that definately is the problem. PC2100 is like....ancient...yea, like Nubius said, post back when you get the 3200. I bet it will be like having a completely new system.

I installed the new RAM. TWINX1024-2300C2PT from Corsair. Practically doubled my FPS from ~29 @ 1600x1200 to ~55FPS. :) I also noticed that on the console screen it said:

1 Processor, at 1 GHz

Before I installed the new RAM.

Now it reads:

1 Processor at 2.2GHz.
I'm pretty happy about that too... LOL

Now I have another question. This motherboard supports something called Dynamic Overclocking. You can pick several levels and it will just set all the adjustments for you. I had no problem with the other RAM running at around 3%, but now the computer won't even boot and I have to reset the BIOS if I choose optimized for performance (which is the 3% feature). Any ideas? I'm going to play around with the latency settings and see if I can squeeze a little more punch out of this thing.

Thanks again for the help guys.

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom