Wires from the power supply to motherboard (CPU) burned up. Why would this happen and how to fix?

ryanhostetler

Baseband Member
Hello,

My computer got a blue screen error and restarted, almost immediately got another different blue screen error and rebooted again. The second time, the fan and lights on the computer came on, although the computer itself didn't boot up or display anything on the monitor. I manually restarted a few times and began to smell burning plastic. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the wire from the power supply to the ATX 8-pin Power Connector: JPWR2 (forgive me if this is bad terminology; I'm no expert and copied this from the mobo manual) was burned up at both ends. The manual says that this wire supplies 12v power output to the CPU. The connector to the motherboard is melted (just the male piece of the wire, not the female on the mobo itself) and the wires are singed and black. The same is the case on the connector to the other end of the wire (this melted section looks to be an extension of a shorter wire). I've searched the forums and can't seem to find any explanation as to why wires would burn up and, more importantly, what needs to be done to fix the situation. My first inclination is to simply replace the wire extension that burned up. Thoughts?

I would blame the PSU, itself. When anything fries, it is often the fault of the PSU. Get a good, trusted brand. And NEVER skimp on the PSU. You could lose everything.

What are your system specs?

Never heard of AVI... Hopefully there is no damage to the CPU/Motherboard. Before purchasing or looking at another PSU, can you carefully remove the motherboard from the machine and inspect the area on both the front and back where the mosfets are? Also inspect under the heatsink towards the CPU on both sides, and checked the 4/8/12/16Pin CPU 12v power connection for any damage on the motherboard. If the board looks OK, then you can take a chance on it being purely the CPU.

Personally, I enjoy the OCZ ZS series units. Your PSU is one thing you don't wish to skimp out on because if it does fail, it can destroy everything in your system. Always try to stick with name brand ones. Also, what country are you in? Because some websites wont ship to some countries.

I'm in the US. I have an Office Depot right next to my house and was considering walking in to buy one so I don't have to wait. Are you saying that you think my CPU is fried?! That would be a bummer!!!!!!

Looks like I misspoke (or typed). My power supply is made by Ark Technology Inc and, after doing some research, I've discovered that it is a VERY cheap power supply. :( I inspected the back of the motherboard (as best I can see with the other side of the case off (I don't want to take it apart unless I have to) and I see no damage whatsoever. The socket where the wire plugged into the mobo looks fine as well. No discoloration or melting or anything of the sort.

I suggest staying away from office depot if they even carry power supplies. Bestbuy or a TigerDirect store, or Frys if you have it would be better... I will leave PSU suggestions to another member that might be familiar with more of the newer things than I.

I'm not gonna lie, I really like the look of the OCZ ZS ones. I'll probably buy one (or another good one) on Ebay. The only drag is having to wait for it to get here.

Back
Top Bottom