SSD Question

In theory, after writing around 3200GB and reading around 9000GB from my 60GB OCZ Vertex2 SSD, I still have a projected life span of another 6-8 years, and this drive only being a year old and having 7932 hours on it. Yea, max writes are a bit >_<, the issue comes to garbage collection and TRIM these days IMO.

I wouldn't put them in RAID unless the controller supports passing TRIM functions.
I don't see why it wouldn't.

I was about to start a thread pretty much asking the same question. I just bought another m4 256GB and im a little ignorant when it comes to RAID. If i put the 2 m4's in RAID, will i have to re-install Windows? I just put my PC together about a week ago and i dont want to do a re-install already. My original plan was to just put the second drive in there separately.
Any time you make a RAID array the partitions and drives in question get a fresh format, so that's a yes.

After full reading the OP with coffee in me, I rephrase my original post to say just use one of those drives as your main drive till you get a new motherboard. Unless say you get a new one next week or something.

Only certain Intel controllers support passing TRIM functions via RAID. RAIDED SSD's are a big no-no for that reason alone, unless you want to sit at the windows logon prompt a few hours a week letting the drives Garbage Collection system kick in. From my understanding the system won't work at any other point for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom