Computer randomly restarting during gameplay?

Kelranox

Solid State Member
Computer randomly restarting during gameplay?
So, I built my computer back in August last year and for the most part, it hasn't given me any trouble. However, whenever I'm playing a full screen game (Just for example, CoD Modern Warfare 2 lately) after a while the screen goes black, I hear a buzzing noise to replace the in-game audio and then the monitor flashes a few times to indicate the computer is completely shut off, then it starts again. After having started back up, I'm met with a prompt telling me it didn't shut down properly and asks me whether or not I'd like to start in safe mode, etc. Then a pop up indicates that if a solution is found as to why it just shut down, I'll be notified. All that jazz that won't ever amount to a solution.

I've Googled it a bit and I've found two possible problems:

1. Windows Firewall kills the program - Initially, I thought this to be the true reasoning behind it all. However, the computer still shut down after having done so.

2. The PSU isn't supplying with the proper wattage - I don't know what the proper wattage should be with all of my components considered, so I'll just list them out.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20 GHz

RAM: 8GB

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 570

PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX650

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Case: NZXT Apollo Black Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower

I should also note that the computer has been restarting even when I set the EPU on max power saving mode. So, I won't even dare touch turbo mode. But it's not like my computer can't handle these games, because I've ran Skyrim on max graphics settings before and I had no frames dropping. And I keep my room relatively cool..I even have a big fan blowing at the side of the tower. So, any solutions? If it boils down to my needing to buy a new PSU, I can't really point my funds in that direction. So, any temporary solutions for that? If that is indeed the case, anyway.

-Measures I've taken that have yielded no results-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bios power readout:

3.3V - 3.376

5V - 5.026

12V - 12.032
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cleaned out computer with CCleaner, as well as registry.

Defragmented HDD with Smart Defrag
'Who Crashed' analysis:

Code:
Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 6/19/2012 1:50:16 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061812-39624-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0xD431A4) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800D98B4E0, 0xFFFFF880081761A4, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.42 
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.42 
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.42 , NVIDIA Corporation). 
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Tue 6/19/2012 1:50:16 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl!TdrResetFromTimeout+0x214) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800D98B4E0, 0xFFFFF880081761A4, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. 
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time. 

On Sun 6/17/2012 12:29:17 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061712-21044-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x1796E8) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8008FCC4E0, 0xFFFFF8800F3C56E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC00000B5, 0xA)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.42 , NVIDIA Corporation). 

On Sun 6/17/2012 12:08:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061712-24117-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x801F10) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800A96A4E0, 0xFFFFF8800FA75F10, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Ran memtest and got 9 passes without any errors.

Tested the HDD and it was fine.

Update your video drivers.

"nvlddmkm.sys" keeps coming up in your analysis, which points to a nVidia driver. Download the newest drivers from their website, and do a custom install, and check the box that indicates to do a Clean Install of your drivers. That will remove the old drivers and then install the new ones.

So, I did that...and the weird thing is, I had installed that driver prior but didn't do a clean install. I've been on forum after forum after forum and everyone has been pulling their hair out trying to fix this. Granted, I'm not sure if this has -officially- fixed everything but I had been experiencing the restarts earlier and for a few hours now in-game, everything has been fluid. Gonna facepalm later if this turns out to be the solution. Either way, thanks. Ya know..if everything holds up.

Back
Top Bottom