Huge issue with factory restore on Acer laptop

brian1649

Baseband Member
Hello,

So my friend has been having a problem on her laptop where it will randomly give her a blue screen of death and shut down, then on reboot "repair windows" which took several minutes. I could easily see this had to be some sort of virus, and she had already gotten a virus before. I figured that a factory restore would be the best route to go, using the partition in the hard drive to reinstall windows 7 onto the laptop. After going through the process, and the computer applying setting for the first time like when you would buy the computer new, an error would come up: Setup.exe 0xc0000005 and then basically saying application could not start click ok to close or something like that. The setup will finish, but there is obviously something wrong with windows. For example, you can not access the screen resolution option when right clicking on the desktop, which was the first problem i noticed. There were numerous other problems such as this, as well as that the laptop did not recognize it had a wireless internet adapter and wanted an Ethernet cord plugged in. I believe there is something wrong with the windows factory install partition and i am wondering if there is a way to fix this. I dont have her computer with me right now as i am back home but it is an ACER, beyond that i dont know if 32 or 64 bit, but i believe 32 bit

Thanks guys.

Yes im thinking that the recovery partition is corrupt, but i dont have any recovery discs for the computer.

They do overwrite everything, so in a sense, yes. But if she indeed does have a virus, it can still linger in her system.

Is there anyway to know for sure that the virus will be gone, any way to completely reformat the hard drive?

They do overwrite everything, so in a sense, yes. But if she indeed does have a virus, it can still linger in her system.

Unless it was a bootsector virus, it wouldn't linger. Restore discs / partitions reformat the OS partition, and then restore the factory image.

You can do a low level format with killdisk
Freeware Download Active@ KillDisk
That will remove any possible anything on your hard drive. you can also pull out the memory if you think something evil is resident in the memory too. Short of a bios virus, not much more you can do. if you think you bios is infected, you can flash that too....but I can't recommend you go that extreme

Back
Top Bottom