Continuous short beeps sounds like memory error to me

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I mainly want a second party's verification on this one before I RMA the motherboard.

This is the board:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A55MLV FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Before installing it I assembled the mobo, CPU, and RAM and it spun up. I installed everything and the computer booted. I wiped the hard drives and installed Win7 just fine. I installed the first batch of updates then shut the computer down for the night. I booted to the BIOS this morning to set up AMD dual graphics and set the initial display to onboard, saved and exited setting.

And then the fun started. Instead of booting I got a continuous loop of short beeps. After digging I found that the board has Award BIOS, and continuous beeps mean memory error. I have now reseated the RAM, swapped them in the slots, tried each stick in each slot, and finally pulled a stick from my computer and tried in both slots. Same results each time.

My conclusions is that the memory slots or a circuit to them has died.

The BIOS is what controls what parts can actually go on to the board. It also is the program sets the timings and speeds of both cpu and memory. So it has lots to do with it.

While I doubt trotter messed in there, theres a slim possibility that the bios did auto "tweek" itself, maybe to a unhappy setting now that the system is full setup.

Reseting the BIOS is usually the first thing that should be done so as to start trouble shooting from a known starting point.

Congrats Joe and patonb. Resetting the CMOS seems to have done the trick.

I tried going back into the BIOS and setting it back up for dual graphics and got the same result so I am thinking that the setting I changed was not the right one; I set onboard graphics from Auto to Force.

At least it is working now.

Back
Top Bottom