memory?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i have a HP computer running vista h.p. with 1gb of memory. i know what memory to buy to upgrade, but my sons freind told me there is a way to use a flash drive as ram. is he all wet? i am not competer person, i have spent my life in tha garage with a wrench in my hands. so i do not know if this is possible or not. if it is, is ther something i have to do to use it as ram?

There is a way that you can do this, yes, but it is 10x easier just getting normal memory. Safer, IMO.

If you need help picking out your RAM, we're here. ;)

i have a HP computer running vista h.p. with 1gb of memory. i know what memory to buy to upgrade, but my sons freind told me there is a way to use a flash drive as ram. is he all wet? i am not competer person, i have spent my life in tha garage with a wrench in my hands. so i do not know if this is possible or not. if it is, is ther something i have to do to use it as ram?

Flash drive as ram ? nah windows xp/vista/7 or etc would have a stroke, if it didn't know where to place all the data it receives from the cpu and hard drive.

"meaning" it aint gonna work out.. ;)
Open up your case for me, have your computer shut down and unplugged, look near the cpu heatsink and pull back on 2 white levers holding your memory.

Write down what it says including model numbers, bring it back here and we'll see about getting you some new ram.

You need to read up, Mike. It's called virtual RAM. It works, yes, but to a point.

No I don't mind, look at my beginning statement in my post.
Let me ask you something, lets say you have a computer.
Your ram malfunctions and you have nothing else to use to boot your machine from posting.
Do you think you can take a formatted flash drive, and use that as system memory for your whole computer ? :/

Never was telling Xwrench that a flash drive used for virtual ram would be sure gurantee to work out for him.
Matter of fact, I wouldn't even advise that to him especially on a windows machine.
I need for Xwrench to check his system by someone he trust and see if it might be time for a new ram or not.

I am going on a hunch and say he may need it, if its causing him issues.

You don't use virtual memory in place of RAM, you use it alongside. Still, read up. I never said you can use it in place of RAM.

You don't use virtual memory in place of RAM, you use it alongside. Still, read up. I never said you can use it in place of RAM.

I know you mean well, but just try to understand I have already been through that usb virtual memory crap on my own time in the past and with some others computers.
I'll let you trouble-shoot the him if you think this will work, I just don't want him to come back a week later and says his problems are still there and were never fixed.

Good luck MoM.

Flash drive as ram ? nah windows xp/vista/7 or etc would have a stroke, if it didn't know where to place all the data it receives from the cpu and hard drive.

"meaning" it aint gonna work out.. ;)
Open up your case for me, have your computer shut down and unplugged, look near the cpu heatsink and pull back on 2 white levers holding your memory.

Write down what it says including model numbers, bring it back here and we'll see about getting you some new ram.

ReadyBoost - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

While it's not perfect it can still be a useful boost for older systems.

WHOA, NELLIE! hold on guys, i had no intentions of starting a war! other than my machine is a little slow, there are not a lot of problems caused by this. when my son's freind told me about this, it seemed like it might be a cheap, easy way to get the deal done. you can buy an 8gb flash drive a lot cheaper than another gb of ram memory, and it is easier to install. mostly because i dont have to crawl around unhooking, and reconnecting wires. i have installed ram before, it is not that big of a deal.

Back
Top Bottom