My High End Gaming Computer specs

Runfox

In Runtime
This is my specs so far for my new Gaming computer, any input welcome. I havnt built a new comp since like 2005, so this ones way overdue. My budget target is $1400, with some flexibility. I dont plan on overclocking, my build is high end enough I shouldnt need to, and I dont really know anything about overclocking anyway. I want to be able to play any game out there, as right now I can barely play COD4 with everything turned all the way down.

I plan on buying in 2 months or less, watching New Eggs sales and cathing what parts I can on sales or combo deals.

CPU: Intel i5-3570K - $109.99 I know this is an unlocked CPU good for overcloking, but its fast enough I dont plan on it.
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 $399.00 EVGA has been good to me in the past. I am pretty much set on these two items, the rest are subject to change if I find a better choice.
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-VLK LGA 1155 IIntel Z77 , $144.99 this one has the Lucid LogicVirtu biult in which looks promising
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2 750W 80 Plus Bronze, $109.99
Main Drive: Mushkin MKNSSDCR240 SATA III SSD $189.99
BAck up drive: WD Caviar Blue 500G7200 SATA 3.0 $ 99.99
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaw series 16G (4x4G) 240 pin (PC312800) $94.99
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 $29.99
Case: CollerMaster HAF912 $59.99

Havnt picked out my optic drive yet. I have read some dont recommend more than 8G ram, I do some video editing so I think it will be put to use.

The only things I'd change would be the SSD; I love Mushkin RAM and have never had any problems with it, but I haven't had experience with their SSD's. I generally stick to OCZ or Crucial. And the Hard Drive. I understand you'll probably just be using it as a media drive, but something a bit faster could help. Check this out:

Newegg.com - Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Same price and 2x the size.

What kind of video editing will you be doing? Do you want to spend a bit more in the CPU department or will the 3570K be enough for you? Also, you'll need an OS.

Thanks for the input, I am editing old VHS family movies, capturing , editing then putting on CD. Not real intense video editing but , I thought the 16gig RAM would help. tj_extreme thanks for th SSD tip Ill rethink that. I didnt realize the 1tb HD was about the same price as the 500gg. patonb isn't that drive a little slower than the one tj_extreme suggested??

Yes it is, but if its just for storage, youy realy don't notice the speed. Some on here say that the 5900rpm drive is actually quite useable with no notice of the lower speed.

I only suggest, and think its feesiable because of the large SSD drive you spec'ed out. 240Gig is huge enough that you won't need to be saving space.

Thanks for the input, I am editing old VHS family movies, capturing , editing then putting on CD. Not real intense video editing but , I thought the 16gig RAM would help. tj_extreme thanks for th SSD tip Ill rethink that. I didnt realize the 1tb HD was about the same price as the 500gg. patonb isn't that drive a little slower than the one tj_extreme suggested??
That isn't exactly "video editing", rather capture, encode, and burn. I suppose for future proofing 16GB would be ok, but really you don't need more than 8.
The SSD is fine IMO.

I have a 7200rpm 1TB Seagate and 2 5900RPM 2TB Seagate drives. The only real world difference between the 2 if the 7200RPM bursts about 5 seconds longer but sustained speeds are exactly the same. So I agree on the 5900rpm for storage being a better option, but I don't trust any of the 1.5TB drives myself.

Thank you guys, got another question, about a Motherboard. I have been looking at this Asus board, Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS My son says I dosnt like Asus, he recommends GigaByte, like this board, Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard I like EVGA but hey only make one very expensive board. I want Intel socket 1155 and Intel Z77 chip set with the Virtu MVP, any suggestions there?

Also I read on some reviews that the Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler is kinda big and heavy, on one board it caused a problem with weight torquing the board, if I'm not going to overclock the cpu, at least not any time soon, maybe I should just go with the Intel stock cpu cooler for now??/

The Asus Gigabyte is the Ford vs chev fight in car forums.

I have a GB x58 board and an Asus Server board.. they both are fine. Now evga is great quality and great service.. but at a high price.

I would not worry about board torque. Properly installed cooler and board won't have an issue. My 950 has a noctua u12, and its massive but has no torque issues.

A aftermarket cool is never a bad thing, stoick or oc'd. It will make your system quieter by a fair amount, as well keep things pleasent to be by.. Hot computer in the hot summer sucks hard working at all day.

Thank you guys, got another question, about a Motherboard. I have been looking at this Asus board, Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS My son says I dosnt like Asus, he recommends GigaByte, like this board, Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard I like EVGA but hey only make one very expensive board. I want Intel socket 1155 and Intel Z77 chip set with the Virtu MVP, any suggestions there?

Also I read on some reviews that the Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler is kinda big and heavy, on one board it caused a problem with weight torquing the board, if I'm not going to overclock the cpu, at least not any time soon, maybe I should just go with the Intel stock cpu cooler for now??/
It's personal preference, and on that note I wouldn't get an eVGA board these days. Same old crap and they haven't decided to make anything really new since their prime of the X58 Calssi boards.

Check this one mate, Gaming Machine heeheh Gateway FX6860 Desktop Computer, It has Intel Core i7 i7-2600 3.40 GHz - 16 GB RAM - 2 TB HDD - 128 GB SSD - Blu-ray Reader/DVD-Writer - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1.25 GB Graphics Card - Wi-Fi - Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium - HDMI

Back
Top Bottom