Driver Issue

NevoraskiA

In Runtime
Alright some drivers got replaced with bad drivers. The computer will not boot up in normal mode, safe mode, or last known good configuration.

WHAT DO I DO! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

What drivers have been overwritten? If it doesn't work in Safe Mode, you have a corruption of Windows.

Did you try startup repair?

Unless it was a base Windows driver, you should still be able to get into Safe Mode.

What drivers have been overwritten? If it doesn't work in Safe Mode, you have a corruption of Windows.

Did you try startup repair?

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys partmgr.sys and sahdad64.sys

those are the 3 that got replaced.

Think I tried a startup repair... can't recall. No matter what I do it seems to give me a bsod.

If they're Windows files (looks like they are), look on another computer if you can, that has the same version of Windows as you're using, and copy the files over. You can copy them from the source computer onto a flash drive, and then boot off of a Linux LiveCD and put them in the directory you need. Just don't delete the old files, rename them to something like disk.sys.OLD or something, that way you still have a backed up copy of the original.

disk.sys is a microsoft pnp disk file
partmgr.sys is of course a partition management file
sahdad64.sys is known to be a saitek HDD filter driver
These things either can be some kind of malware, a recently installed software or possibly your hard drive.
Seeing as you can not boot up windows, you can try to get the diagnostic software from your hard drive manufacture for DOS and boot up to that cd and do a diagnostic test on your hard drive
There are several malware scan programs that you can run outside of windows by using a boot disk too.
You can get the Kaspersky Rescue disk 10 from here
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10

disk.sys is a microsoft pnp disk file
partmgr.sys is of course a partition management file
sahdad64.sys is known to be a saitek HDD filter driver
These things either can be some kind of malware, a recently installed software or possibly your hard drive.
Seeing as you can not boot up windows, you can try to get the diagnostic software from your hard drive manufacture for DOS and boot up to that cd and do a diagnostic test on your hard drive
There are several malware scan programs that you can run outside of windows by using a boot disk too.
You can get the Kaspersky Rescue disk 10 from here
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10

You know... I never thought of that... I have Hirens Bootable which has Mini XP or w/e it's called on it... so I can boot a fake XP and then try to get the files back. I'll have to look into that tomorrow.

Make sure you get the files from the same version of Windows you're running now.

well i replaced the disk.sys and partmgr.sys from mini xp on hirens and then deleted sahdad64.sys and couldn't find a replacement for it... computer does work now though. (probably should have kept the sahdad64.sys, but the computer works with no issue so w/e)

Issue all solved :)

Detailed steps: I booted the computer with hirens bootable cd. I opened the drivers folder on the C drive and deleted the bad versions of the 3 system files. Opened up the mini xp fake hard drive and found the drivers folder and copied the 2 of the 3 system files that existed in it over to the C drives driver folder. Restarted computer and everything worked.

Like I said in my previous post... you shouldn't delete files... just rename the extension; You can just add a ".old" at the end of a file to "break" it but make it usable.

To get a replacement, go to another computer running the same version of Windows, copy the file over to a flash drive, boot back into Hirens on your PC, and then copy it over.

Back
Top Bottom