Android Notebooks?

h2oskidude

Beta member
I'm looking for an extremely cheap notebook. I've come across the android notebooks, they seem to be around $100 which seems optimal to me.

My primary use for it:
-notes in class
-writing programs/running them (I'm a computer science major)
-internet browsing

My concern is I'm unsure if it will be able to handle writing code and running it. I use putty sometimes to run applications on a campus server, so that shouldn't overload them as far as I can figure. I've also been looking into remoting into my home computer, but I'm unsure how effective that is or if the platform even supports it, but that way I figure I might be able to run a compiler if need be. (Do you think this type of netbook could handle a compiler? or remoting in would be necessary?)

I'm not opposed to a couple cheap upgrades with regard to hardware if you think that might solve problems more effectively, or even looking at a different netbook if someone else has done this differently. Perhaps even a cheap tablet and small keyboard addition?

I really just want a cheap and convienent way to carry around a computer that's capable of doing these things and if that way I break it accidentally I'm not too upset about it and I don't lose everything since I'll have a primary computer at home.

Suggestions?

--Check it out. This is just an example, again I"m open to other models, just would like it around $100 if possible Amazon.com: iView 7-Inch Android Netbook: Computers & Accessories

There aren't really any good compilers for Android; there's some, but none of them free.

You can remote into your main computer, but if you don't have internet you'd be SOL.

IMO, save up, and shell out for a laptop. I'm a 4th year CSC major, and once you start getting higher up in your courses, you may start using other IDE's (been using Visual Studio 2010 and loving it with C# work). You'll want a semi-decent laptop, honestly.

Thanks for your quick response!

I have a laptop. I'm really just worried it'll break somehow in my backpack, its heavy, and "bigger". Really just a convience issue.

Do you think the android notebook would be able to keep up with remoting in to my laptop back at my place? I'm not real technical when it comes to hardware so my main issue is that I'm scared it won't be able to keep up even if a compiler or program is truly running on my real computer.

And just out of curiosity, do you if Android has a program like putty?

I carry my 17.3" G73 around campus in my backback, which is 11lbs + books/notebooks lol. And by no means am I a big guy at all.

As far as remoting in, the only thing you'd really be constricted by would be internet connection, as long as you had a decent Android netbook. My friend does this with his Asus Transformer (Android tablet with a keyboard dock). He uses TeamViewer to remote into his desktop at home.

I've used ConnectBot on my Android phone before to SSH into our schools linux server; not sure if they make a version for an Android netbook / tablet. If not, there should be something similar out there.

I use connect bot from my phone on a nearly daily basis, checking on a web host server, a server at home, and my schools Linux servers. Works on my Kindle Fire too. Anything I compile on these don't have a GUI, so.. if you're going to be doing GUI work your best bet would be something like Splash top or TeamViewer

Back
Top Bottom