GPU Upgrade Help!

Thebrave85

Beta member
Hello everyone, first off I'm new to these threads, and I wanted to greet everyone! But anyway, I currently have a Core i5-2500K @ 4.6 Ghz w/ H80 Corsair Liquid Cooling, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz ram, XFX HD 6870 Black Edition, Gigabyte Z68x UD3H-B3 Motherboard, Corsair TX 750W v2 80 plus bronze certified PSU, 3 case fans, 1 side, 1 top, 1 front (also 2 back on H80 in/out). I also have a newer 24'' LED ASUS Monitor at 1920x1080p. I am looking to upgrade my GPU to something that will killlll games at full 1080p, the 6870 was used on my last setup which wasn't even full 1080p. My budget is as high as $600 right now for a new GPU. I am also open to CFX/SLi combinations, whichever will give me the best performance/cost ratio.

Thanks guys!

Yeah but that's expensive, I can get a CFX or SLi setup that performs better for cheaper than that. Also the GTX 660 cards are supposedly coming out soon, couple of weeks I think. If I get two of those in SLi, they would definitely outperform a single GTX 680 for probably $500 for two of them.

Then go for that if you want.

I suggest the GTX 680 since it will max any game at 1920x1080 with lower power consumption and heat than any comparable sli/xfire setup.
And in 6/12/18 months when you want even more power you can just add a second one instead of having to replace two cards.

Yeah, I mean like there's other solutions like GTX 480 SLi, GTX 560 Ti 448 Core SLi, HD 7970 3GB, etc. What would be a good combo for SLi/CFX at this point in time, newer technology-wise that would run me around $600. Also that would run well on my Corsair TX 750w v2 80 plus bronze certified. Let me know!

Yeah, I mean like there's other solutions like GTX 480 SLi, GTX 560 Ti 448 Core SLi, HD 7970 3GB, etc. What would be a good combo for SLi/CFX at this point in time, newer technology-wise that would run me around $600. Also that would run well on my Corsair TX 750w v2 80 plus bronze certified. Let me know!
Well, the 480 SLI would be way too hot and you would need a bigger PSU, the 560 448 and 7970 dual card solution would be over budget, and I personally think sticking with a single card would be a better upgrade option future wise. To be quite honest, my 580 killed ANY game over 1080p. A 670 and 680 are both faster than that and will demolish any game at 1080p easily with your setup. SLI and Crossfire are really only need for multiple monitor setups.

Well, the 480 SLI would be way too hot and you would need a bigger PSU, the 560 448 and 7970 dual card solution would be over budget, and I personally think sticking with a single card would be a better upgrade option future wise. To be quite honest, my 580 killed ANY game over 1080p. A 670 and 680 are both faster than that and will demolish any game at 1080p easily with your setup. SLI and Crossfire are really only need for multiple monitor setups.

I totally hear you, I can afford a GTX 560 Ti 448 Core SLi dude, 250 per card, and that works for me, also on Ebay I saw a bunch of them, they are basically GTX 570s and SLi they would murder wouldn't they? But if I don't decide on that maybe just a Super overclocked GTX 670 or HD 7970? Kinda trying to stay away from ATi though I think.

I totally hear you, I can afford a GTX 560 Ti 448 Core SLi dude, 250 per card, and that works for me, also on Ebay I saw a bunch of them, they are basically GTX 570s and SLi they would murder wouldn't they? But if I don't decide on that maybe just a Super overclocked GTX 670 or HD 7970? Kinda trying to stay away from ATi though I think.
That's the thing, you can't think of SLI as "100% gains" as there are many variables. Sure, you will get a marginal performance boost but 90% of the time a more powerful single GPU solution will be better because it wont have driver problems, micro-stuttering, heat issues, game compatibility issues, ect. This is coming from a guy who has had several multi-GPU computers and I always wind up going back. The idea is super cool, the look is super cool, but real world performance a few 570s will only be marginally better than a stock 680. Since the 670 is faster than a 580, see where I'm going with this?
If your budget is as high as 600 and you can get dual 560 448s for 500 then no, you can't afford it unless you raise your budget. With your OCed rig and SLI it will be putting a lot of pressure on that 750 and under a few hours of gaming it will start to get pretty toasty. No doubt, it'll hold, but I would suggest more power for that particular setup.

I know you said you want to stay away from ATI, but it would be kinda pointless to get a 7970 when for a bit more you can just get a 680. For the budget of 600 and with your current setup I stress that a 680 is really the best option as of right now.

Back
Top Bottom