Are these temperatures normal for a laptop?

What program are you using for temp monitoring? What does HWMonitor from cpuid.com show your temps as? Chipsets will get hot, and most "motherboard" temps are the chipset. 70C on a chipset is normal IMO as I have seen them reach upwards of 100C in some machines with no side-effects.

What program are you using for temp monitoring? What does HWMonitor from cpuid.com show your temps as? Chipsets will get hot, and most "motherboard" temps are the chipset. 70C on a chipset is normal IMO as I have seen them reach upwards of 100C in some machines with no side-effects.

For example, using AIDA64, I get a motherboard temp of between 47-52C on idle, and up to 65-70 degreesish when playing call of duty.

Read the post people..

As tj_extreme said above, read the post :) I'm using AIDA64! I did try several other different programs so it seems the temps are correct. I got around 74-75C. I'm worried that if I game for a couple of hours on this machine it's going to cause some problems over time..You sure up to 100C is fine? Even 70C sounds very high to me :/

Depends on the chipset honestly, some can handle 100C fine, others might handle 80C. Laptops are built with the idea that heat may be a bit high for a period of time. I certainly wouldn't go at it for hours on end though, even if the chip could handle the heat, the solder may not like it that hot that long.

Depends on the chipset honestly, some can handle 100C fine, others might handle 80C. Laptops are built with the idea that heat may be a bit high for a period of time. I certainly wouldn't go at it for hours on end though, even if the chip could handle the heat, the solder may not like it that hot that long.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised to hear laptops can handle such high temps. It's been a while since I last used a laptop and I never used one to actually play decent games on, so I didn't know the temps would be so much higher than what one expects on a desktop. I'll keep what you said in mind, and I'll try and not play for more than 1-2 hours at a time ^^

Average laptop dual cores core-temperatures idle around 50s'C (Celsius) which is 122'F. At load core-temps can go up to 70s'C. This is perfectly normal for a laptop. For laptop quad cores, add 10'C to the idle/load temperatures.

Normal temp for a laptop when idle is 40C and when playing games (if you're a gamer) maximum will be 75C depending on the game you are playing. My laptop is a Sony Vaio. So that's how it is for me.

Normal temp for a laptop when idle is 40C and when playing games (if you're a gamer) maximum will be 75C depending on the game you are playing. My laptop is a Sony Vaio. So that's how it is for me.

You can't say that it's normal for a laptop when you are only using yours as a base line. I have a Compaq here with a low powered CPU that never gets below 55C on the CPU at idle. Every machine is different. BTW, use the edit feature, 1 minute between two posts is ridiculous.

The most ideal temperatures for laptop or pc shouldn't exceed 40C. They could also work 50C but will certainly have an impact on the performance of the laptop.

The most ideal temperatures for laptop or pc shouldn't exceed 40C. They could also work 50C but will certainly have an impact on the performance of the laptop.

Saying around 40C for a desktop, maybe but you can't just compare laptop temps to desktop temps, laptops run hot.

Back
Top Bottom