Connecting USB header through a NES controller port

KeNnO

Beta member
Hello,

I'm currently building a NES PC from an old NES console.
I've bought some USB game controllers which I want to:

Chop the USB ends off
Solder original NES controller connections to
Solder the NES ports on the case to the USB headers on the motherboard.

I'm just wondering - am I going to have issues with this due to the shielding around the usb cable?
95% of the cable will be shielded, just the end that is cut off and connected through the NES ports will not be ...
Will this be an issue or how would you suggest I get around this?

Thanks.

Hello,

I'm currently building a NES PC from an old NES console.
I've bought some USB game controllers which I want to:

Chop the USB ends off
Solder original NES controller connections to
Solder the NES ports on the case to the USB headers on the motherboard.

I'm just wondering - am I going to have issues with this due to the shielding around the usb cable?
95% of the cable will be shielded, just the end that is cut off and connected through the NES ports will not be ...
Will this be an issue or how would you suggest I get around this?

Thanks.
Not sure you will have to do all that work with soldering to the header. You can probably just use the cable from the front panel of a case and take the pins out on the USB end and place them in the NES end then plug the header end to the motherboard like you would normally do. Then, just put the cables in the correct matching placement on the USB end of the controller to match your new NES header. I don't think cable shielding will be a problem.

Not sure you will have to do all that work with soldering to the header. You can probably just use the cable from the front panel of a case and take the pins out on the USB end and place them in the NES end then plug the header end to the motherboard like you would normally do. Then, just put the cables in the correct matching placement on the USB end of the controller to match your new NES header. I don't think cable shielding will be a problem.

Yeah, that's what I was planning to do with the USB header. I bought some .75mm metal casings with little clamps on the end to connect the consoles ports.
Soldering the actual controllers plugs to the end of the USB is going to be interesting ... The cables are a bit short... And that's some pretty sketchy looking cable! Yet to solder it...
The plug will come apart but doubt it would be in a position to put it back together!

Back
Top Bottom