Are these temperatures normal for a laptop?

You should probably be fine. What's the ambient temp of your house? Is it warm in your house right now, or fairly cool? That'll have a large effect on it as well.

Because the motherboard is in a tight, confined area with only a few small fans to blow air out; which are situated on the CPU and/or GPU (which put out most of the heat). So the ambient temp of the mobo rises and the hot air has nowhere to go except through the already-warm air vents, which doesn't transfer heat that well.

If you want to lower temps, get a cooling pad for your laptop; you should see at least some drop in temps then.

That laptop doesn't look like it was built with gaming in mind. It has very small vents, and is very thin. I was looking at some Samsungs at Best Buy the other day, and even the floor model that was just sitting at the desktop, in a cool store, was putting out a lot of heat. I'd like to see what the venting system is inside.

Missed that, sry.

No hate.

I actually did get one today, the Newegg.com - Thermaltake Massive23 LX Notebook Cooler Model CLN0015, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference to be honest. I guess the main question is, is 70-75C for the mobo worryingly high?

You shouldn't be too worried, unless you're running it at those temps for extended periods of time. (i.e. 2+ hours)

You should probably be fine. What's the ambient temp of your house? Is it warm in your house right now, or fairly cool? That'll have a large effect on it as well.

He said he's in an air conditioned room, so it shouldn't be hot.

Thanks for the replies all. Yeah, the computer is in an air conditioned room so although I don't know the exact temperature, it is definitely cool enough in here. I guess the mobo temps up to 70-75C are acceptable...at least thats what I've gathered from your input. The laptop's vents are definitely small, so I agree with tj_extreme there. It is surprising though because the hardware on this is quite good and I'm sure they thought to make it good enough for gaming...Anyways, I will use the cooling pad with the laptop anyways and hopefully all will be ok.. Thanks

When you say motherboard temp, do you mean CPU temp?
In his first post:

Hi guys,

I've been using a desktop for several years so I'm not sure what regular temps are like for laptops nowadays. I just got this Samsung NP700Z7C-SO1US, which I am absolutely LOVING so far, and I am wondering what sort of temps are normal for new laptops..For example, using AIDA64, I get a motherboard temp of between 47-52C on idle, and up to 65-70 degreesish when playing call of duty. The CPU goes between 30-40 degrees, and the GPU temps also seem fine. But the motherboard temp seems kinda high to me, what do you guys think? And yes, I am in an airconditioned room :)

And yet, he does it again... :lol:

Me? :angel:

Thanks for the replies all. Yeah, the computer is in an air conditioned room so although I don't know the exact temperature, it is definitely cool enough in here. I guess the mobo temps up to 70-75C are acceptable...at least thats what I've gathered from your input. The laptop's vents are definitely small, so I agree with tj_extreme there. It is surprising though because the hardware on this is quite good and I'm sure they thought to make it good enough for gaming...Anyways, I will use the cooling pad with the laptop anyways and hopefully all will be ok.. Thanks

It depends what they intended the laptop to be made for though. The more powerful hardware could have been put in there just for general use so they could sell more units to the average joe, or it could have been made for Photoshop and stuff like that. Gaming will heat those components up a lot faster than other tasks, which leads me to believe that they didn't design it for gaming.

In his first post:

Good boy, keep MoM in line :lol:

Back
Top Bottom