Move 30GB Hard Drive Data To New 120GB Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm...I have it as a slave now and I'm actually fine with that. I just install new programs and put stuff on it now. Would the 8MB Buffer, etc on this new hard drive really help start up any faster or anything REALLY worth making it primary? the 30GB and the 120GB both have the same RPM speed....7200.

Does anyone else know? Does the 8MB buffer would really worth making it Primary? Like I said, I have it as a slave, I'm still not sure if it's worth doing the image and making it my primary. 30GB (I think the buffer is 2MB) 7200RPM's vs the 120GB 8MB Buffer 7200RPM's. I'm just curious if I would notice any speed in Windows as far as file transfers, etc, on the 120GB that would be worth the move, vs the 30GB I'm on now.

Thanks,
David Waters

The buffer is beeing transfered at the end of each read action at the maximum transfer speed. (burst speed)
This only lasts a few seconds so you will have 8MB beeing transfered at 133MB/s

DavidWatersUGP said:
Does anyone else know? Does the 8MB buffer would really worth making it Primary? Like I said, I have it as a slave, I'm still not sure if it's worth doing the image and making it my primary. 30GB (I think the buffer is 2MB) 7200RPM's vs the 120GB 8MB Buffer 7200RPM's. I'm just curious if I would notice any speed in Windows as far as file transfers, etc, on the 120GB that would be worth the move, vs the 30GB I'm on now.

Thanks,
David Waters

Not really, not anything you would notice

I would personall leave the 30 gig alone, install the 120 as slave,
format it as ntsc. then I would click start, programs, my documents
right click it and select properties (this is the only place you can do it)
and click move. you can move your documents to your second hard drive and it would be set as my documents.

now if your Os become corrupt or you get an uncurable virus, you could reinstall xp without losing your data

but if you want to do it your way, use Pm to copy the drive (it will set it as hidden), use the pm boot manager to set it as active and reboot your computer. it will reboot as your second drive

PM is better than ghost for copying a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom