Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would set the IDE acces mode to AUTO. Don't use CHS because it only supports drives up to 1024 cylinders. You may try LARGE and LBA.

The transfer mode should be set to AUTO also. You can try to set it to UDMA5, though I am not sure what happens if its wrong.

4W4K3 said:
http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/serillel_new.php

I have this...will i have to reinstall XP to use it? It is faster than what i am currently using and i think it's an alternative to buying another HD and reformatting.

Could be faster because most serial HD's perform better, though I am not sure. I don't think you need to re-install XP. But I don't really see the point of that device because it only supports one HD.

TheMajor said:
Could be faster because most serial HD's perform better, though I am not sure. I don't think you need to re-install XP. But I don't really see the point of that device because it only supports one HD.

Got it installed and updated and it runs fine:) gonna test it out. Transfer mode doesnt list as UDMA..it's like 1,2,3,4,5,6....so maybe 5? i'll try it out.

i really appreciate the help:)

EDIT: just cheched..it's in UDMA 5 right now. guess SATA switched it automatically.

HOLY CRAP!!! i was at 30.9MB/s with ATA133 cable...after install i ran HD Tach and got...

74.7MB/s!!!! what a boost!!!! this is incredible..i was expecting maybe 40-50MB/s lol.

Really appreciate everyone's help:) You guys are great:)

I turned RAID support on even though i cant use it...amybe it will enable sumthin else?
No that'll just slow your POST speeds if that's turned on with no array set...

BTW: I don't understand what you did :( I want to increase my HD's speed, although I haven't tested it to see what it's current bandwidth is, I tried with Sandra and it says I need to do a defragging first :p so I imagine it's probably not that fast.

We got the same boards 4W so I can get that boost too right? What exactly did you do because I'm confused at this point :confused:

And damn major! you know quite a bit about hard drives, I know squat!

Oh snap yeah that Serillel I have that little adapter...You just plugged your HD into that and straight into the SATA and it worked? (assuming SATA controller is active and SATA Drives were preinstalled? Or did you install drivers for the SATA Controller before you put the HD on the connector?)

If you got that much of a boost I definitely want to hook my HD up to it, I thought the thing was worthless =/ lol I didn't know it'd do that!

What exactly did you do 4W? Man for being a mod I sure have been asking you a lot of questions lately, lol I thank you for every bit of info you give me as this has been a great learning experience...and in that picture it shows you hook up the Molex power AND the small floppy like power to the SATA Convertor? Seems like it'd be receiving TOO much power or something

BTW: Ram is currently at Vdimm 2.7 2.5-3-3-6 timings at 193FSB running memtest right now and hasn't errored yet :D This Samsung PC2700 is holding up like a champ, I really can't believe it, I think I just might be able to hit 200 off this PC2700 stick!

Well i pre-installed the drivers b4 i hoked it up. (just check device manager under SATA drivers, mine were already up to date so i didnt even need to use the included floppy lol). Then i went into BIOS and enabled SATA/RAID in there, turned off PC and hooked it all up. It booted just fine and loaded windows. working still, no reformats and not even a driver update:)

Aright I'm gonna try it! I believe I just got like 23m/sec on HD-Tach so we'll see what happens, brb with the dramatic conclusion!

I don't know, I looked under Device Manager and I saw RAID Controller so I installed the drivers for that and hooked everything up and put SATA as the first boot device and at bootup it says

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart...

Basically it's not even seeing the drive hooked up to sata. In the BIOS I go to Integrated Peripherals and turn on SATA Controller and then installed the drivers which was under SCSI/SATARAID Controller under device manager, so it's giving me that NTLDR missing because it's trying to access my slave HD....

Ahh man what do I do! I want mine runnin faster too :( :p

Under the Device manager did you actually have something that just said SATA DEVICE or what? I can't figure out why in the hell it basically isn't seeing my drive on there.

Good god, well I'm just a big dumbass.....I forgot to hook up the power connector lol, the one that splits to the convertor and the HD itself....so yeah no wonder the PC wasn't recognizing it, it wasn't on! I used HD-Tach and 4W now you gotta check because I believe you were looking at the 'BURST SPEED' Which isn't the same as a sustained read.....but yeah my burst speed went from 30mb/sec to 87mb/sec!! But if you look your 'Average Read' speed probably didn't change, mine didn't atleast, stayed at 23mb/sec... So yeah that serillel definitely gives you an added little boost for your HD. Also I think my 20gb that I'm using for the main is ATA100 because it's average read is 23mb/sec whereas my Slave 80gb drive has an average read of 49mb/sec and a burst speed of 67mb/sec so damn....I need a new HD :p

Oh yeah and get this, my 4pin P4 Power connector....WASN"T PLUGGED IN!!! I don't even know how my computer was booting being OC'd and all, and it's been like that for like 2 days now atleast cause that was the last time I was in there and removed that chord :eek: so yeah got lucky there

You're right...that was my burst speed. My average speed is 55MB/s. My HD was made to support ATA133 and SATA150 i believe because it gave me a pretty big boost. What kinda HD are you on Nubius?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom