Geforce 6800 Ultra and GT same graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
The only difference between the two is speed not the look of the graphics right? So when I play HL2 I wont see a graphics difference, its going to look the same, just wont be quite as fast...? Thanks all

Thresh said:
The only difference between the two is speed not the look of the graphics right? So when I play HL2 I wont see a graphics difference, its going to look the same, just wont be quite as fast...? Thanks all

You won't see graphic differences per say because they both use the same pixel shader tech and etc.

BUT since a 6800 Ultra is more powerful you can max out AA and AF and that WILL give you better picture quality.

Also bee is right you can flash a 6800GT to an Ultra if you dare to OR you can buy OC'd 6800GTs and they are less than the Ultras.

Honesly you don't NEED that powerful of a card to play HL2. I would just settle with a 6600GT but there have been articles noting of a problem in those upcoming GPUs. For some reason they SUCK UP your CPU BIG TIME but I expect Nvidia will address that if not already.

Joeisalsocool said:
I still dont understand why one would overclock the fastest card on the market.

definitely the wrong place to ask this question, people here would spend 10 hours trying to make the "power on" light on their comp come on 47 nanoseconds faster, and make it look cooler... its just an obsession

*claps* I agree with Win2kpatcher and Leonidas, it's all about getting that extra fps or couple extra megahertz.. I've spent like a full days worth testing different settings on my computer to find the quickest possibility. Changing the ram timings, fsb, multiplier, etc..

you can flash a 6800GT to an Ultra if you dare to
I don't believe you have to flash it, it's simply a matter of raising the speeds of the core and memory to that of the Ultra, you have to get the eVGA brand though because they put the same heatsink on all the cards which means you get a heatsink that was meant for the more powerful Ultra on the cards lesser than that, so it's almost like getting an aftermarket heatsink for free.

I still dont understand why one would overclock the fastest card on the market

The 6800GT isn't the fastest card on the market :D People OC the GT not the Ultra, so technically no ones OC'ing the fastest card, although I'm sure there are somewhere out there....

But yeah the point is, why not? It's fast now, but it won't be in the future, and besides that, then it's like having your own personalized 6800, I could call it the 6800Nubius cause it's faster than your non-oc'd 6800GT :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom