Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.
What transfer mode are your HD's using rightnow and what's the maximum transfer mode supported by your mobo's IDE controller?

You can check this with Everest, AIDA32 or Sisoft Sandra. It will be something like UDMA100/ATA100 or something similar.

TheMajor said:
What transfer mode are your HD's using rightnow and what's the maximum transfer mode supported by your mobo's IDE controller?

You can check this with Everest, AIDA32 or Sisoft Sandra. It will be something like UDMA100/ATA100 or something similar.

lol wowo slow down..i get confused easily. I am using ATA133, and i get about 22MB/sec (pretty low). I will check out sandra...

EDIT: well i wasnt sure to look but i checked out ATA/ATAPI information and it says
"Type: ATA" for my HD.
maximum UDMA MODE = UDMA5,
currently running in UDMA2 though. kind of condusing.

ATA133 is the highest transfer mode possible for IDE. Make sure your HD is running in this mode, although, if your drive only gets up to 22MB/s (read) you won't see a huge difference between ATA100 and ATA133.

TheMajor said:
ATA133 is the highest transfer mode possible for IDE. Make sure your HD is running in this mode, although, if your drive only gets up to 22MB/s (read) you won't see a huge difference between ATA100 and ATA133.

So what is UDMA? Is it a function or a special cable or sumthin? its running UDMA2 on ATA133...

So what is UDMA? Is it a function or a special cable or sumthin? its running UDMA2 on ATA133...
Yeah hell I don't even know whats going on anymore so Major enlighten us! :D

Just ran HD Tach and i got 30.8MB/s...a little better. I'm gonna reboot and see what BIOS offers in way of HD features.

ATA is the standard and UDMA is the transfer mode. It doesn't matter wich word you use. It both means pretty much the same.

Probably your HD supports up to ATA133(=UltraDMA133 or UDMA mode 6)
and your drive is currently using UDMA mode 2 (=UDMA133 or ATA33) wich is pretty slow.

Make sure you are using an 80conductor cable wich is required for speeds above UDMA33(=UDMA mode 2 or ATA33)

I am looking for some cable pics.. will post them ASAP

Here's a 40 and a 80conductor cable:

z_000524wires4080.jpg

my cables are rounded...but they are 80pin i know cuz i looked and the package displayed them as 80-pin.

my BIOS is so confusing..it has like 3 diff pages with HD settings...which to i change and to what?

Which should i use for IDE Access Mode:
CHS
LBA
Large
Auto

I turned RAID support on even though i cant use it...amybe it will enable sumthin else?

There's more features but i have no idea what they do or anything...Is there anything i should be looking for to incresase the UDMA mode to 5? it's at 2 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom