i7-3820 or i7-2600K?

AXL001

Beta member
They're both equally the same price but I want to know from your guys point of view on which one I should buy for my new build. The build is for gaming & graphic designing.

From what I've heard the 2600k is better for overclocking and runs cooler... I've never messed with the 3820 so I have no opinion on that one.. All I know is I'm enjoying my 2600k :tongue:

AnandTech - Bench - CPU

Considering the negligible differences in stock performance, the fact that the 2600K can be overclocked to surpass that, and the price of the LGA2011 motherboards I don't know why they even made the i7 3820 to compete with the 2600K, it doesn't stand a chance.

[h=2]You should choose i7-3820, currently i am using that processor. and trust me it got some speed.[/h]

AnandTech - Bench - CPU

Considering the negligible differences in stock performance, the fact that the 2600K can be overclocked to surpass that, and the price of the LGA2011 motherboards I don't know why they even made the i7 3820 to compete with the 2600K, it doesn't stand a chance.
You can overclock the 3820 too, normally around 4.4-4.6ghz on decent cooling. Anything using a decent amount of RAM will take advantage of the quad channel setup.

I agree with Roark, the performance difference at stock is almost non existant, P67/Z68 boards are cheaper, and the 2600k overclocks like a dream. I had my 2600k build for a year, clocked @5.2GHz for at least 90% of its life. My kid has it now, still running at 4.7GHz. Your choice, but I recommend the 2600k.

I agree with Roark, the performance difference at stock is almost non existant, P67/Z68 boards are cheaper, and the 2600k overclocks like a dream. I had my 2600k build for a year, clocked @5.2GHz for at least 90% of its life. My kid has it now, still running at 4.7GHz. Your choice, but I recommend the 2600k.
Another thing to take into consideration is PCI-E Lanes but most of the people here wont be using all of them anyways.

I know that, but since the OP didn't say he's looking into any extreme graphics solutions, I figured a P67/Z68 1155 would do.
Indeed, I agree that 90% of the time 1155 will be completely fine. I just wanted to make mention that the 3820 is still OCable, provides way more PCI-E lanes, quad channel, and more options on their boards. It is a good platform for the enthusiast looking for more power but doesn't have the cash to get one of the unlocked 2011 CPUs.

Back
Top Bottom