PSU Blew

Curbkiddytech

In Runtime
I was in the middle of a MW 3 match when I heard a loud popping sound and my computer turned off. I also smelled something that reminded me of a fried power supply and when I tried turning on the computer again, no response. So as the topic says, I'm pretty sure my 700W OCZ Modular PSU blew, and I would like some recommendations for a new one, preferably 800W or higher for a reasonable price. The rest of my PC's specs are as followed:

Mobo: Rampage Formula III ATX
CPU: Intel Core i7 3.4GHZ (4 pronged power port on Mobo)
Ram: 8 GB G.Skill
GPU: EVGA GeForce 580GTX
HDDs: 4 SATA
DVD: 2 SATA
Chassis/Case: Cooler Master HAF X

Anyone familiar with the HAF X case knows how many molex connectors there are for all the extra fans so if you could keep that in mind when recommending a PSU to make sure it will have enough Molex connectors to power at least 4 of the case fans, that would be wonderful. Thank you for all the help, it's always appreciated.

Your wattage is fine and you don't need anymore. You need a quality PSU.

Get anything Corsair, Thermaltake, or Antec 650+.

Trotter, few years ago I would totally agree with you, but OCZ bought them out and they build OCZ PSUs.. His PSU is an OCZ....yea.

Hey Trotter thanks for the link, very much considering the PSU but I couldn't quite tell if it had any molex connectors on it. Can you clarify if it does and how many? Also will the cables be long enough to reach everything from the bottom of the case to the top? The HAF X case is much larger than even I thought and my CPU power cable almost didn't reach with the last PSU. Just wanna be sure it's got everything I need before we commit to the purchase.

I also prefer modular PSU's but I'll make an exception if you think this one is worth it.

Generally if Trotter says buy this, you buy it lol. He's probably the most knowledgeable person on the forum when it comes to parts. (No offence intended if I am wrong!)

Hey Trotter thanks for the link, very much considering the PSU but I couldn't quite tell if it had any molex connectors on it. Can you clarify if it does and how many? Also will the cables be long enough to reach everything from the bottom of the case to the top? The HAF X case is much larger than even I thought and my CPU power cable almost didn't reach with the last PSU. Just wanna be sure it's got everything I need before we commit to the purchase.

I also prefer modular PSU's but I'll make an exception if you think this one is worth it.
You can check the specs out from the manufactures web site
http://www.pcpower.com/downloads/PPCS910_Mechanical_Drawing_3875.pdf
Their mechanical drawing on the .pdf for this power supply shows that the 24 pin cable is 20" long (1)
Sata is 43" at it's longest point (12)
4/8 and cpu and 6/8 pcie video is 23" (two of each)
molex ide is 39" (7)

Back
Top Bottom