anyone have one of these yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also did you make sure NB wsn't holding you back?
!! No I didn't! But....I'm kind of afraid to up it because all I got is stock cooling on the NB and last time I upped the NB my kingston ValueRAM fried =/ but then again I was trying to OC that kingston past it's PC3200 speeds while currently I've got that same stick (RMA'd) underclocked, but do you think upping the NB would fry that 256 stick? Since I'm going to be giving that stick to a friend at christmas it'd really suck to fry it this close :p

EDIT: Also, I don't understand why tightening the cycle time to 6 which is faster than both are stocked at would help stability. I thought you mainly wanted to loosen those? I don't know enough about the actual effect of each timing on the system, especially when it comes to troubleshooting the memory errors....I'll definitely try what you suggested though before I try upping the NB cause like I said now I'm paranoid of it lol

Well once you get the MAX mhz out of your RAM, you should go back and see if you can tighten your timings for increased performance. It's like cleaning up after yourself...mhz first, then go back and see fi you can gte the timings better. Also burning in the RAM for a week might get them glowing and you can get an extra 5mhz if it really helps. I always burn-in my ram b4/after overclocking to see if it will help overclock anyways. just loop sandra memtest or sumthin so they get all toasty inside. it gets the mem-chips used to running hot and loosens them up allowing for stability/higher overclocks.

it gets the mem-chips used to running hot and loosens them up allowing for stability/higher overclocks.
Makes sense.....heat causes expansion, so theoretically literally the transistors will expand then allow more speed to go through. Thanks for the help! :D

Well it's running 2.5-4-4-6 at 2.7 thus far with no errors and at 188 :D but I noticed in the memtest the memory says 942mb/sec whereas when I was at 2.5-3-3-7 at a lower FSB it was 1002mb/sec so it seems loosening up those two timings to 4 really cut performance back at the cost of stability....so it'd be more worth it to run it where I currently had it wouldn't it? As far as memory speeds is concerned? Although I haven't played with it enough to tighten the timings back yet

yah changing to 4 really hurts. after burn-in and extensive testing try to go back to 3. if it wont then i suggest your previous settings, that big of a performance loss is kinda..well..big lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom