Want to Re-Build my PC so it will last for 2 to 4 years

SimplyConfused

Beta member
I am looking at upgrading my system to either an i5 or i7. I don' want to spend a lot of money on something I don't really need. However I would like it to last for at least 2 to 4 years. I do some onling gaming (but not hard core). Microsoft office suite, Internet, Netflix, and remote work. I would like to reuse some if my hardware if Possible (if not, oh well). Here are the specs of my current system:
CPU: 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
MEMORY: G-Skill 4GB DDR2-800 SDRAM
VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 5670 (1024 MB)
AUDIO CARD: Creative SB X-Fi Fatality XtremeGamer
HARD DRIVE 1: Seagate ST3250310NS (250 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
HARD DRIVE 2: Western Digital WD300GLFS-01F8U0 (300 GB IDE)
POWER SUPPLY: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W
MONITOR: 42" Samsung LED TV
CASE: Cooler Master CM-690
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows XP Pro
I have looked at the ASUS P8Z77-V Boards and they look nice. however do I need something like that? any and all recomenndations will be appreciated.

Whats your budget?

You will need a new cpu, ram snd motherboard, everything else will be just fine?

You can cheap out buy getting a good board like the asus z77 and get an i5 quad core sandybridge and 8 (2x4Gig) Gig of ram, (only can use 4 Gig though). That'll be in around $350-$450.

Whats your budget?

You will need a new cpu, ram snd motherboard, everything else will be just fine?

You can cheap out buy getting a good board like the asus z77 and get an i5 quad core sandybridge and 8 (2x4Gig) Gig of ram, (only can use 4 Gig though). That'll be in around $350-$450.

my Buget is Approx $800. I assumed I would have to upgradse my Operating systems since XP only recognizes 3.25GB. Any suggestions based on my Budaget? Would Windows 8 be my best option? Thanks Again

Windows 8 is free right now, like with when they released 7, MS is releasing free public testing of 8 for a period of time. So That would be a free switch, worse case yyou buy it when the free key runs out.

$800 is a large upgrade budget, for that, I'd go for a quality z77 board, as it has special ssd drive features and a load of expected upgrade paths, a 2500k with decent aftermarket cooler and 8Gig of ram.

And it'll be under $800. I'm not up on the new boards so someone else will be a better resource than me on the differences of boards.

Back
Top Bottom