Flashdrive Upgrade

av3lard

Baseband Member
Good Morning,

is it true that you can upgrade your Flashdrive's capacity from 1 gig to 2 gig by the use of some software, or it will just virtually change the Flashdrive's capacity.

Any response will be appreciated.

Thank you.

No. The drive is physically limited by the flash chip that is soldered on the board.

Besides, not really a reason to do this. Flash drives are cheap nowadays; you can get a 32GB flash drive for < $20 now.

well its because of my friends keep telling me that this is true and possible, thanks again BTW.

he personally do it. The thing is, when you look into the capacity of the flashdrive it change from 1gig to 2gig, but personally i have a big doubt on it as i know that it cant be done, unless you change the flash chip that is soldered in the flashdrive.

Do a google search on a program called "Drive Increaser". It is claimed to be able to convert a 1G USB stick into a 4G stick. My understanding is that it uses compression to compress everything by a 4:1 ratio.

Years ago, DOS 6.0 came with a utility called "Double Space" that could come close to doubling the capacity of your hard drive. The problem with Double Space was that it took all of your files and compressed them into a single file, then decompressed/compressed on-the-fly as you used the various files. If that file got corrupted in anyway, you lost the entire contents of your hard drive. Software like Double Space made sense when a 20M hard drive cost $500 but the gamble isn't worth it when we can buy multi-GB flash drives next to nothing today.

Ever heard the phrase, "There's no such thing as a free lunch"? (TNSTAAFL)

If you decide to use the Drive Increaser software, I wouldn't put any critical data on that flash drive.

Do a google search on a program called "Drive Increaser". It is claimed to be able to convert a 1G USB stick into a 4G stick. My understanding is that it uses compression to compress everything by a 4:1 ratio.

Years ago, DOS 6.0 came with a utility called "Double Space" that could come close to doubling the capacity of your hard drive. The problem with Double Space was that it took all of your files and compressed them into a single file, then decompressed/compressed on-the-fly as you used the various files. If that file got corrupted in anyway, you lost the entire contents of your hard drive. Software like Double Space made sense when a 20M hard drive cost $500 but the gamble isn't worth it when we can buy multi-GB flash drives next to nothing today.

Ever heard the phrase, "There's no such thing as a free lunch"? (TNSTAAFL)

If you decide to use the Drive Increaser software, I wouldn't put any critical data on that flash drive.

Back
Top Bottom