SAMSUNG Factory Restore on New SSD WITHOUT DVD???

Why do you need to use SATA? If speed is your problem, you are still limited by the USB speed. You can use a external drive fine with Clonezilla.

I just need to connect the old laptop hard drive to my laptop to boot from it and then create the recovery disks. I'm not going to use the hard drive any longer after that. Clonezilla, as you will see from the posts above, did not work because of the fact that the original laptop HDD which was the source was 1TB whereas the target is 512GB. Apparently they have to be the same size OR the target has to be larger than the source.

It could theoretically be possible; as long as the boot settings still work, it could work.

Hmm. Well I just ordered one of those online, they're cheap anyways. What do you mean as long as the boot settings still work? Will it actually be any different to putting it back into the laptop when I connect it through the SATA to USB thing?

Depends on how Windows likes being booted from USB. I haven't done it quite a long time, so I can't remember if it throws any fits or not.

Depends on how Windows likes being booted from USB. I haven't done it quite a long time, so I can't remember if it throws any fits or not.

So it's up to how windows is feeling that day :) Well, it's worth a try I suppose. As I said before, opening this thing is a pain and I damaged it enough the first time, don't want to repeat that. I'll report back with the result tomorrow I suppose.

How did you damage it the first time? Was it with a screwdriver trying to pry the bottom lid off? If that's the case.. I'd recommend getting a plastic pry tool. They're a very nice tool to have when prying apart delicate plastic clips and parts.

How did you damage it the first time? Was it with a screwdriver trying to pry the bottom lid off? If that's the case.. I'd recommend getting a plastic pry tool. They're a very nice tool to have when prying apart delicate plastic clips and parts.

Well actually, I don't know if you watched the video I shared earlier on in the thread where the guy shows how to take this laptop apart and install the SSD, but I followed his advice there and used my nails to do the prying. I did use a screwdriver to help myself, but I taped the end of it to avoid damage. My nails were however the main reason why the edges got scratched. It took a lot of force to pry the back part open, much more than I had expected before doing it. Thank you for the advice though, I will keep that in mind.

Fair enough. Well, good luck and let us know how you it turns out for you.

Damn lol, I think I fried the hard drive. I knew it was a risk but I didn't think it'd actually happen. But I got the USB to SATA connection today and the power supply was 2A 5-12V, and the hard disk is 5V and 0.85A. I didn't actually read the 2A thing on the power supply before I connected it to the hard drive (stupid) and I think I fried the thing...Damn. Oh well, I took the risk, it didn't work. I'll have to live without the recovery disks :D

Back
Top Bottom