Help, Questions About OCing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
I have a Pentium 4 520/2.8 GHz on the LGA775 socket. I have an Abit AA8-DuraMAX board. The board came with overclocking software called uGuru (other software) and temperature monitor called Abit EQ.

Temperature is my main issue. I have configured Abit EQ in such a way that it will shutdown my computer if the processor temperature exceeds 55 degrees Celsius. I'm running this on the stock HS/F. What I don't understand is why my temp doesn't go up even after I turn the voltage.

Example 1: OC to 2.968 GHz @ 1.3875 V & stable 49 Celsius max
Example 2: OC to 3.094 GHz @ 1.4275 V & stable 49 Celsius max
Example 3: OC to 3.122 GHz @ 1.4275 V & stable 49 Celsius max
Example 4: OC to 3.2xx GHz @ 1.4675 V & unstable 52 C max

Why such slight difference if at all in temps?

How can I get the processor to run stable at 3.2xx GHz? When it was unstable the fan rpm was 2460 RPM or 2240 RPM (i think the second one). Should I turn up the voltage, is it safe? (The uGuru when put on turbo settings, runs proc. at 1.5875 v and 3.08 GHz, a waste but the noise on the hsf is extreme for the turbo settings but the temp still doesn't go any higher than 53 C). Please, any suggestions would be useful and I do not intend on purchasing another heatsink as the intel one goes up to 3000RPM.

Since it's an overclocking question it'd be much more appropriate to post it in the Overclocking section instead of hardware ;) I went ahead and moved it for ya

- Nubius

Why such slight difference if at all in temps?
Well for one, the Vcore isn't being raised THAT much to make your temps really increase so that's fairly normal, wouldn't worry about it. I'm assuming that those temps your showing are your full loads? Because if those are just Idle temps then you really wouldn't see an increase in temps at all unless you made a huge jump from like 1.5v to 2.0...

There's a pretty big difference in voltages between your Ex.3 and Ex.4 but not so much between the others...so I would say you should up your voltage a little more..

Can I ask what kind of instability you're encountering. I mean is it rebooting when you try and save those settings? Does it get into windows but as soon as you try something it freezes/reboots?

Try 1.48 Vcore and see if that helps out some stability.....if it's to the point where no matter what the Vcore is you can't get it stable then perhaps try to obtain the speed you want but using different FSB and Multiplier settings.

Well, those are idle temps. As far as full load temps go under Prime95, neither example will run proc. over 62 max temp. The instability is Windows crashes and the blue memory dump screen appears. I reboot two seconds later same thing. Should I up voltage? Remember this is a stock intel hsf.

Aright well then you should really worry about your full load temps not idle. So you really shouldn't have ABit EQ sitting at CPU Shutoff at 55C when your Full load temps are hitting 62C....which for an Intel is rather hot..... You need to adjust the shut off temp according to the full load temps..

Now that you say 62C is full load temps I really wouldn't advise trying to push it more until you get an Aftermarket heatsink. I knew you had said you had stock HSF, but if your full load temps were in the 40's and low 50's then you'd be ok to raise the Vcore a little more....now that you've said those are your idle temps and 62C is your full load if anything I'd say you might want to back it down a little as that's pretty hot especially for an Intel processor as they tend to have lower temps than AMD's...

Upping the Vcore MIGHT get you stability but at the cost of heat which it looks like you really can't afford at the moment.

The instability you said generally would be stabilized by upping the Vcore, but like I said you're running pretty hot as it is....You could always up your Vcore to see if windows will infact run stable just so you know for future reference cause it won't just burn out your CPU immediately, but more than likely if it just barely gets past windows not crashing then it won't be prime95 stable which is the ultimate goal

Well, I'll clock it down to 3.08 GHz or 3.008 GHz. It was fast enough for me before. Bring down the voltage to 1.4375. This will be until i get a bette hsf.

Question: I have an X600Pro and is there a way to flash it to X600XT?

I have DDR2 memory at 533 MHz. What can I do to make memory peformance better, not that it isn't good?

Hmmm both of those questions are out of my league :D

I have no experience with DDR2 memory and am just barely learning the experience of properly overclocking my RAM. I can OC the hell out of my CPU and get stability no problem, but pushing the performance of RAM beyond it's stock is something different entirely.

The only way to up your memory performance is to up your FSB past the RAM's stock FSB, you can lower your multiplier so your CPU is clocked at the same speed, but you are just increasing the speed of your RAM and entire system bus for that matter...know what I mean?

Regarding flashing that card I have no clue, it's fairly new and you're the first person I've heard that's bought one :D

Shoulda gone with the 6600 as it completely obliterates the X600 in every benchmark but the shoulda woulda couldas never help...sorry..

I suggest you simply google 'X600 BIOS Flash' or something similar to that.

Thanks; about the 6600, the X600 was cheaper and I don't game enough to see any difference. This is purely a true animation machine that runs 3d studio max alot and i mean alot. that just takes up cpu power, not graphics power. sure playback the gfx is important but most of the time it isnt.

Thanks; about the 6600, the X600 was cheaper and I don't game enough to see any difference. This is purely a true animation machine that runs 3d studio max alot and i mean alot. that just takes up cpu power, not graphics power. sure playback the gfx is important but most of the time it isnt.
Ahh yeah you're completely right, I didn't even think of that, I just assume most people buying the newer cards are gaming, but you you're 100% right, for your purposes that card will be more than enough.

Mainly CPU and RAM with 3D Studio max, I ran 3DSM 4 on a 750Mhz duron with 384mb of RAM, can you believe that lol, god I don't know how I had the patience for that back then.

I run 3DSM on an AMD K6-II at school for the Robotix Team every Wednesday. Boy do I lack in patience; it takes the damn thing hours to render and process. I keep on telling them to let me do the stuff from home, but they want me to do it there.

I have a K6-2 450MHz...thing is butt slow. even with fast vid card and added ram it's slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom