SAMSUNG Factory Restore on New SSD WITHOUT DVD???

Yes, as long as the total size of the image is less than the size of the SSD, then yes.

Just burn CloneZilla to a DVD, boot off of it, choose to create an image of the drive. Then boot off of clonezilla on your laptop, hook up the external that has your image, and choose to restore an image, and restore it to your SSD.

That's what I thought. Good to know the actual procedure.

Just make sure you don't do a disk-to-disk clone (have had this wreak havoc on a system), and make sure you're making an image of the correct drive. CloneZilla is quite straightforward; I've used it quite often before.

Yeah, I chose disk to image, and popped in an external hard drive. My concern is what you said earlier though. The laptop HDD is 1TB, but the space that is actually occupied on it is about 60GB..That's all I need. The SSD on the other hand is 512GB. And the external hard drive I'm using to put the image on is 500GB. Is clonezilla actually going to try and clone a whole terabyte even though only 60 gigs is in use on the laptop HDD? Because it's doing it now but it seems to suggest it's going to take quite a long time, it's been running for 10 mins and is only 3.47% complete so far

No, CloneZilla will only back up the actual data. It's gong slow because you're transferring through USB. When I last used it, it took roughly ~40min to image about 20GB to an external USB drive.

No, CloneZilla will only back up the actual data. It's gong slow because you're transferring through USB. When I last used it, it took roughly ~40min to image about 20GB to an external USB drive.

Oh I see. It's actually jumped to 50% now too, so you're right. Thanks a lot. How long do you think it will take to get the image cloned on to my SSD? I am wondering whether or not I should plug my laptop to charge so that there is no problem halfway through, that's why I ask

Cloning to the SSD should be fairly quick. Can't remember how long it took for me to do it on my friend's SSD. Although you're still going through USB, so you'll still be hampered by that. I would plug it in while it's cloning just to be sure. Although if it did die in the middle, it wouldn't really matter that much as you're cloning from an image to a fresh drive, and you could always start over.

Cloning to the SSD should be fairly quick. Can't remember how long it took for me to do it on my friend's SSD. Although you're still going through USB, so you'll still be hampered by that. I would plug it in while it's cloning just to be sure. Although if it did die in the middle, it wouldn't really matter that much as you're cloning from an image to a fresh drive, and you could always start over.

True that, thanks a lot. SSD's are great, overpriced yes but I am so happy with the purchase I made! Hopefully won't take too long to clone to the SSD, as you said. I'll be back with feedback soon, but hopefully my problem will be solved :) Thanks once again!

Not a problem. Shouldn't be more than an hour (should be less than that) to clone the image to the SSD.

Let us know how it turns out.

Edit: Also, very good thing to do after imaging: Open command prompt as Admin > type in the following:
chkdsk /b c:

This clears the Bad Sector list for Windows and then re-scans the drive to re-build the list; it's good to use after imaging a hard drive (made pretty much specifically for this, actually).

Not a problem. Shouldn't be more than an hour (should be less than that) to clone the image to the SSD.

Let us know how it turns out.

Edit: Also, very good thing to do after imaging: Open command prompt as Admin > type in the following:
chkdsk /b c:

This clears the Bad Sector list for Windows and then re-scans the drive to re-build the list; it's good to use after imaging a hard drive (made pretty much specifically for this, actually).

Hey, unfortunately I've run into some problems. I'm guessing I must have done something wrong, but I don't actually think I did anything wrong. I get an error when I try to restore the image to the local disk on the laptop, as it says the image is too big in comparison to the local SSD which is 512GB. It seems to suggest the image is 1TB, but as you can see, when I look at the image from my computer it says 44GBs only...Any ideas as to why I'm getting an error?

View attachment 5286
View attachment 5287

Attachments

• cloneimage.jpg
    cloneimage.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 35
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom