Full Red Screen (Not RSoD)

sigh i guess i'll type it all up again. It was 4 paragraph's with picture and everything. /Rant..

Mods plz delete my other post if ever shows up :p

I googled the problem and it led me to this forum post.

I have the same exact problem as the OP has told us about. out of no-where, the screen will turn solid red. It has happened about 5 times already, and started yesterday night shortly after installing my new GTX 680 and Asus Motherboard. Out of those 5 times, I only got a error dump once from windows.

Error code 124. BlueScreenView says it has something to do with NTOSKRNL.EXE. Upon further research, this error is related to Hardware Failure.

I'm a computer technician, do it for a living, so i've done extensive testing on all of my hardware. Memory test were fine after 3 passes. Hard Drive test is fine. Stress test CPU is fine,, Stress test GPU is fine. I can play any game, including Battlefield 3 maxed out, without any problems. The red screen only happens while i'm doing stuff on desktop. So far anyways.....

Just before this started happening i was getting the famous BSOD 116 while gaming (before i bought this new GTX 680 and Asus Rampage III Motherboard). This is usually a problem with the graphics card or PSU. So i bought a new Motherboard, and Graphics Card. Got the new motherboard since it was on sale and i wanted something that supported USB 3.0 and Sata 6. I had doubts about it being the power supply, since corsair usually makes good ****, and the PSU was only 7 months old. So I just ran with the new mobo and Graphics card to see if my problems would end.

Current Hardware Specs:

• Intel i7 920 D0 Stepping (no overclocks on anything while trying to debugg this problem)
  • Asus Rampage III Formula 1366 Motherboard (newest bios)
  • Asus GTX 680 DC2O Graphics Card (newest driver)
  • Corsair 6GB DDR3 Ram Tri-Channel CX1600C8XXXX
  • Corsair TX 750 V2 Power Supply
  • Dual Seagate 1TB Drives in RAID 0
  • Maxtor 500GB Hard drive dock connected with e-sata on front ports
  • Dual Screen Monitors. 1 is DVI, the other is VGA connected to GTX 680 via a VGA to DVI Adapter
  • Swiftech Water Cooling Kit. CPU only.

Swapped out the Graphics Card and motherboard yesterday. Everything ran fine for a few hours. Then out of no-where, my screen turns red while i was checking my email on the desktop. I proceeded to game all night playing DoTA 2 and BF3. No more problems all night.

Today i get up, check email, browse reddit, BAM, Red Screen on both monitors. (it will stay red until i cut the power) the computer does not restart on its own.

After testing everything, i have come to the conclusion that the Power Supply is at fault. I think on the GTX 680 Chipset, the Red screen happens when there is not enough power or there is a TDR Stop error. The GTX 480's and 580's would just throw out a 116 Error Stop when this would happen.

I suggest trying a different power supply before you RMA any hardware. I am ordering a replacement power supply, probably a Corsair TX 850w from amazon with overnight shipping saturday priority. I will post back if this fixed the issue. It may be a few days, because i cannot replicate the problem. It just happens randomly.

Here is the Mini-Dump (the only one i ever got out of 5 RSOD's): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3783766/dump rsod.zip

Here is a pic of the Red Screen:

rsod.jpg

Guy, I don't know who you are, but what you've just explain made much more sense then what I last posted in here.
Even though I don't GTX680 or ivy bridge. I have been running thats guys problem through my mind for the past 2 days last week.
It started to make sense when I found out there was a problem with the GTX680 I found recently.
I'm sorry to say this, but that GTX680 needs to be pulled for a service call and refixed.

Good ****, nvidia has been doing pretty good this year, but their 680 hit a bad road bump.
Especially when people are in the market to upgrade their computers during spring/summer.

Do me a favor though note which psu brand and wattage works out better with the card.
Thanks for your help and I'm sure other sites will eye this quickly when they see it on google and bing search engines.

Glad my post is helping some of you out :)

I reformatted the Hard Drive last night. I still haven't hooked up my 2nd VGA to DVI coverted monitor. Ever since i formatted i haven't had a Red Screen. When i reformmated, I turned windows update completely off, then once windows was installed, i went to Asus's website and downloaded the drivers and installed them one by one.

• Formated, and installed windows 7
  • Turned off automatic Updates
  • Installed Windows 7 SP1 Immediately.
  • Went to Asus Website and Downloaded Drivers

Drivers installed off Asus:

• Intel Chipset Driver
  • USB 3.0 Driver
  • SoundMax Audio Driver
  • **Note: I did not install the Asus ******** stuff like AiTuner Suite, ASUS ROG Game first, and ROG Connect
  • I DID install the GPU Asus utility, which is called GPU Tweak for monitoring temps and ****. It monitors a lot more stuff than evga precision, so i wanted to keep it.

Several restarts later, i installed the latest Nvidia Driver for Windows 7 x64. Version 301.42 WHQL. Restarted Computer then installed the drivers for my mouse and keyboard. In my case, Razer Blackwidow Driver and Razer Naga Driver from razerzone.com.

After that, i downloaded and installed DirectX via the DX Web Tool. You can find that here.

Once all that was done, i went to Windows update and set it to "Do not download or install updates but let me see them and choose which ones to update".
Then i ran windows update and had it download all the security updates. Please note that most of your other hardware drivers such as monitor drivers, will show up in the optional section of windows update. So i've installed all of the updates that it offered. Even a optional one for my Samsung T240HD LCD HDTV.

I then transferred all of my backup files that i had on a external harddrive, such as Steam, Origin, My Documents, My pictures, etc.. To my freshly clean windows install.

I then played several games, such as DoTA 2 and BF3 for about 2 hours, then i went to bed. Total uptime without a red-screen was around 5 hours.

Upon waking up today, windows was in sleep mode, but it managed to transfer all my files successfully. My new PSU came in via FedEx Saturday Delivery, so i broke the PC down and swapped out the PSU. I ordered a Corsiar TX 850w V2 PSU.

So far i haven't had another red screen. Was it because of my Clean windows install? maybe. There are many factors that could be at play here. In the back of my mind i was thinking that having 2 screens, with different signals, was messing the card up. One digital via DVI, and the 2nd analog with VGA to DVI Convertor. Video cards are known to run hotter with more than 1 screen of a different signal type.

Also the windows install i had before this, had a ton of my old motherboard drivers on it. Because i had just replaced the motherboard. I'm sorry i didn't wait to see if i got anymore red screens before i installed the PSU, but i was thinking, "what if it was the PSU the whole time, it could possibly damage my card." So i replaced PSU as soon as it was delivered. If the PSU was bad, it could have caused the GPU to underperform, and in turn, corrupt the drivers. So this clean install may have simply fixed that corruption. If i had ran it longer we would know for sure.

@ OP: i suggest doing a clean format like i just did and see if that helps any. Please be sure to come back and tell us, so others will know how to fix this. If the problem still persist after the clean windows install, then yes, get a new PSU (Power Supply) ASAP.

@ Mike: I recommend at least a 750w, preferably Corsair, Seasonic, or CWT, but you can get a 850w for like $10 more on Newegg. Amazon.com has the best Power supply prices. Better than egg, buy.com also has some good prices.

I don't think it's necessarily a problem with the GTX 680's. 680's just handle the TDR Stop error differently than the 480 and 580 series did. As i mentioned in my previous post, 580's and 480's will throw out a actual BSOD Windows 7 Error 116. This has to do with either a bad Graphics card or Power Supply. Windows tries to recover when there is a critical error like this, but sometimes it cant. For more info on TDR, (what it is, and how it works) Click Here.

Hope this helps

Just got another red screen out of no-where. I'm running out of hardware to replace.

I don't know what to tell you anymore but this, you might want to call Intel first thing and see what the hell is going on with their new poison ivy bridge.
I mean, if it aint the card, its not the psu, possibly its not the board, intel must be fully at fault for this one.
Minus the fact intel does not like replacing faulty items that they seem the customer "May" have done damage to the computer.
I advise you speak with the highest tier support or get in contact with one of the supervisors running the tech support team and let him know whats happening with valid documents.

This is quite sad, even for a newly released intel chip at that.

I don't know what to tell you anymore but this, you might want to call Intel first thing and see what the hell is going on with their new poison ivy bridge.
I mean, if it aint the card, its not the psu, possibly its not the board, intel must be fully at fault for this one.
Minus the fact intel does not like replacing faulty items that they seem the customer "May" have done damage to the computer.
I advise you speak with the highest tier support or get in contact with one of the supervisors running the tech support team and let him know whats happening with valid documents.

This is quite sad, even for a newly released intel chip at that.

I dont have Ivy Bridge man, I've got old schoold X58 Platform

Intel i7 920

With that said, I found some more info on this Red Screen accurance. I think i may have a possible fix.

Found this on Overlock.net

If I remember correctly the issue is caused by the AIDA64 software. If you're using it, disable it and the RSOD should be gone.

EDIT: Check this thread in the AIDA forum, there is a beta version that fix the issue : AIDA64 forums

Try downloading this, i'm doing it now.

Also if you follow that link to the AIDA64 Forums, the develper explains why this was happening

The RSoD occured when AIDA64 tried to read the video BIOS flash image. On pre-Kepler GeForce GPUs there was a GPU register that AIDA64 had to alter to read the image from the flash chip. On GeForce 600 Series (Kepler, GK1xx) that register doesn't exist anymore, but still, altering it sometimes triggered the driver to throw a RSoD. It didn't actually lock the machine or AIDA64, but it was annoying for sure
smile.png

The RSoD doesn't occur in other software because most diagnostic software doesn't read video BIOS flash image from video adapters. And even in AIDA64 it was very rare to occur.

So try this and see if it fix's your problem OP. I'll do the same. On overlock.net they said you can reproduce the problem by opening AIDA64. AIDA64 is not something i downloaded and installed, but i believe it's used in some of ASUS's monitoring software such as GPUTweak and AI Suite.

Uninstall any GPU or even CPU monitoring software you have, and wait until nvidia address's the issue.

EDIT: Another thread found on this issue on EVGA's Forum http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1512202&mpage=1

Well I downloaded and ran that beta software and it looks to just be a simple monitoring software with driver updates...ie AI Suite dumed down...
Its only a trial though they want me to buy after 30 days and I'm not paying for their **** up if this fixes the issue...
Did you have to do anything after download? because honestly the program looks like nothing important.

Not necessarily true. Depends on the gauge of the wire, as well as the type of material the HDMI connector ends are made of.

Gold ends + decently-thick cable = better signal quality than a standard HDMI cable. Other than that, that's correct, not much difference.

I disagree. The only case in which that makes a difference is when signal attenuation becomes too great over a distance. Due to the nature of digital transmission it takes a significant amount of attenuation to actually result in interference because it's hard to confuse a "0" and a "1" signal no matter what form of levelling you use. I've made my own video signalling devices before. For standard distances of 1-3m I've not seen a HDMI cable that fails to meet the grade. If you're trying 10m or up then yes you most definitely should look at a higher quality cable. If I remember correctly HDMI has ~1v difference in signalling level for bits, that's the margin of error that would have to be in the signal for it to be compromised.

It does have Moderation. Usually it catches it when a person makes their first post, and includes a link in the post. If they make just a regular all text post (no hyperlinks), then moderation doesn't usually go into effect.

You're perfectly right about the moderated posts though.

GTX 680 rsod Possible fix:

HI everybody, i have an asus extreme 3 gen 3 motherboard, i5 2500k not overclocked, 8 gigs of the best Kingston memory, ocz vertex 3 ssd, a second disc for storage, a 700W Coolermaster Silent (80 plus bronze). I have a standard version of Galaxy GTX 680, and i have the issue that when you run thru windows 7, everything goes just right, but when you run the WIndows experience test, all colors and image goes randomly disordered and well, finally RED SCREEN OF DEATH hehe.
Well, after a couple of day researching what could be the problem, i found that changing WINDOWS 7 resolution from 32 bits to 16 bits, all the problems went away, i was able to play dolphin and coming back to desktop with all eye candy without an issue, as well as running the full test of windows experience without problems. I haven't tested Battlefield 3 yet, but the system now seems rock-solid. I also tryed another monitor and the results were pretty different, but the same applies, if i turn 32 bits on resolution settings on NVIDIA drivers and run a 3d application or Windows 7 Aero transparencies etc. it crashes not IN windows but when turning windows experience or a full direct3d 9/11 game.
I would like to know if you guys get the same results changing the color depth and if you imagine a solution that doesn't imply seeing the awful wallpapers and menus of 16 bits. Nonetheless the 3d games looks the same as 32 bits... SO the problem is not in the 3d engine of my Video Card, neither in the NVIDIA driver itself... is in how windows 7/nvidia drivers control the operating system/applications exits, or testing for example under windows experience, because with 16 bit i could complete "the experience". For me is something to do with color reproduction mess up.

GTX 680 rsod Possible fix:

HI everybody, i have an asus extreme 3 gen 3 motherboard, i5 2500k not overclocked, 8 gigs of the best Kingston memory, ocz vertex 3 ssd, a second disc for storage, a 700W Coolermaster Silent (80 plus bronze). I have a standard version of Galaxy GTX 680, and i have the issue that when you run thru windows 7, everything goes just right, but when you run the WIndows experience test, all colors and image goes randomly disordered and well, finally RED SCREEN OF DEATH hehe.
Well, after a couple of day researching what could be the problem, i found that changing WINDOWS 7 resolution from 32 bits to 16 bits, all the problems went away, i was able to play dolphin and coming back to desktop with all eye candy without an issue, as well as running the full test of windows experience without problems. I haven't tested Battlefield 3 yet, but the system now seems rock-solid. I also tryed another monitor and the results were pretty different, but the same applies, if i turn 32 bits on resolution settings on NVIDIA drivers and run a 3d application or Windows 7 Aero transparencies etc. it crashes not IN windows but when turning windows experience or a full direct3d 9/11 game.
I would like to know if you guys get the same results changing the color depth and if you imagine a solution that doesn't imply seeing the awful wallpapers and menus of 16 bits. Nonetheless the 3d games looks the same as 32 bits... SO the problem is not in the 3d engine of my Video Card, neither in the NVIDIA driver itself... is in how windows 7/nvidia drivers control the operating system/applications exits, or testing for example under windows experience, because with 16 bit i could complete "the experience". For me is something to do with color reproduction mess up.

wellll....if you read my op post. my iussue is not nessessarely with my GTC680 so much as everything.

wellll....if you read my op post. my iussue is not nessessarely with my GTC680 so much as everything.

Did'nt fix it with that beta. though like I said I dont thinkl it's gtx issue here. I have my 1000w PSU and am going to swap out in a few.

Back
Top Bottom