Need suggestions for building a CHEAP, BASIC computer

Iron Feet

In Runtime
You guys helped me build my first gaming computer a few years ago and with some upgrades, it's still running great.

Now I'm trying to get a very basic computer set up for my work bench in my garage. I already have an extra 24" monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I will need a case, PSU, GPU, wireless card, CPU, RAM, OS, and MOBO.

I will not be doing any gaming on this box. It's main use will be internet browsing and ordering parts online. That's about as basic as it gets. Cheap and basic is the goal. It doesn't sound very exciting but I'm finding myself having trouble piecing together something cheap as I'm used to gaming rigs now. I'd prefer to build a desktop as opposed to just getting a laptop/notebook. Thanks for any suggestions.

If it's just going to be a internet box basically, could just go with a Linux disro instead of Windows; would cut down on the cost. Unless you'd rather stick with Windows (just an alternate suggestion).

Also, is a hard drive needed? That wasn't listed in your "need" list, or your "already have" list.

Edit: If you decide to go with Linux, you can always install it on a flashdrive, leave it plugged in all the time, and not need a hard drive:
Newegg.com - Kingston DataTraveler Micro 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model DTMC/8GB
Does Linux support USB3? If so, then this would make an excellent "boot" drive.
Newegg.com - Transcend JetFlash 780 8GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Model TS8GJF780

I just want to bring up a few things.

A home garage, or even an actual garage you own, if you have a PC in it, can help with more than just browsing the internet and ordering parts online from it. You can get into programs with Haynes that lets you have unlimited access to entire lines of service manuals, or use AllData (they offer discs with PDF versions of FSM's as well).
Another thing you may want to consider is advanced diagnostic logging, and even eventually tunner software for use in the garage. A garage PC can do MANY things typical scanners, programmers and the such can't do, and cheaper if you know what you want to get done.

People making suggestions need to remember a few things, this PC will be in a garage, filters WILL be needed, the case needs to have minimal "open" spaces where insects can get in, and should consider potential future upgrades, which means that it should not be highly limited to a single OS choice. I don't care how clean and pretty a garage is, bugs are a problem, especially when they can sense an EM field that the PC generates.

Just saying that from experience in my own garage, and from helping other friends build up garage computers for parts lookup. We all eventually wanted to run a 20 foot data cable to our car for some rather interesting tests.

I just want to bring up a few things.

A home garage, or even an actual garage you own, if you have a PC in it, can help with more than just browsing the internet and ordering parts online from it. You can get into programs with Haynes that lets you have unlimited access to entire lines of service manuals, or use AllData (they offer discs with PDF versions of FSM's as well).
Another thing you may want to consider is advanced diagnostic logging, and even eventually tunner software for use in the garage. A garage PC can do MANY things typical scanners, programmers and the such can't do, and cheaper if you know what you want to get done.

People making suggestions need to remember a few things, this PC will be in a garage, filters WILL be needed, the case needs to have minimal "open" spaces where insects can get in, and should consider potential future upgrades, which means that it should not be highly limited to a single OS choice. I don't care how clean and pretty a garage is, bugs are a problem, especially when they can sense an EM field that the PC generates.

Just saying that from experience in my own garage, and from helping other friends build up garage computers for parts lookup. We all eventually wanted to run a 20 foot data cable to our car for some rather interesting tests.
Hence the reason why I suggested that particular small case. I used it in a garage build before where we modded filters on all 3 small openings of the PC. I came up with the idea to mount the computer to a mechanic cart and put the screen flat on the top portion of the cart with plexiglass protecting it. The mITX computer was mounted next to the monitor on the under portion of the top level of the cart next to the other part of the monitor. So they could move the thing around with a UPS backup if they needed while being able to put coffee and tools on top next to the mouse and keyboard. Was a pretty nifty design and is still working to this day. When I get my own garage I intend on doing the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom