anyone have one of these yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, only wires that come out the thing are the ones you want and need versus having extra BS that clutters up and restricts air flow in the case....very innovative i thought.

Very weak rails, that reviewer has prety low expectations. his 3.3v is only 3.27v. it also has very few molex connectors (if you have alot of fans that can be a problem), it doesn not feature adjustable pots (could solve rail issues, but without them sry), the finish loks nice...but scratches easy, and it has very small heatsinks inside....will heat up fast. I would stick with an OCZ Powerstream.

http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=OCZPowerstream420W

I don't know 4W, I built an AMD64 system and used that Ultra 500w Modular Connection PSU....and weak rails??? Last time I looked at the rails it had 30a for the +12v which is higher than most PSU's you'll ever see.....oops just looked and it says 34a even higher than I thought...30a for the +5 and 28a for the +3.3 seems to be about the right average for most PSU's I've seen, so I don't really think it has weak rails.

I'll agree that it can be scratched easily, but I put it in a Lian-Li case and it fit nice, no scratches and looks beautiful, you almost don't even want to touch the damn thing cause of fingerprints lol...

The little rubber pads they give you to plug up the unused ports are worthless though. They don't stay in at all so I simply took them all out because chances are they would fall off in the case although rubber they wouldn't short anything, I still don't like stuff falling out lol.

And out of the 3 'cons' listed on that review

- Not active PFC
- No PCI-Express or 24-pin power connector included
- Finger prints easily

I'd say the only one that actually matters is the Non-Active PFC (which the thermaltake 560w PurePower PSU has, I have this PSU and it runs great and you guys know how OC'd my system is and how many fans I got :p)

Regarding the few molex connectors, it really does have an efficient amount and for the most part, most fans are pass through connectors so you really wouldn't have to worry about using them all up.

One thing that I think is retarded though is that they don't have SATA Power connectors included and you can send out a 'rebate' type thing to get a set of them I believe...so that's lame.

Other than that I've worked with the PSU, built a machine with it, and personally think it's a worthy buy.

Nubius said:
I don't know 4W, I built an AMD64 system and used that Ultra 500w Modular Connection PSU....and weak rails??? Last time I looked at the rails it had 30a for the +12v which is higher than most PSU's you'll ever see.....oops just looked and it says 34a even higher than I thought...30a for the +5 and 28a for the +3.3 seems to be about the right average for most PSU's I've seen, so I don't really think it has weak rails.

34A? I must have seen a diff PSU or one with the wrong specs...i thought it was 18A lol. bad call on my part.

about the rails though...my little 330watter Enermax is 3.36v/5.00v/11.96v with a 600mhz overclock. 3.26v just seemed weak to me since my crappy PSU does better on that rail.

Well I was more looking at the actual ampere rating on the rails not so much the actual voltage when in use for his system. My +12v is at like 11.86 but I've got now 10 case fans running, 1 on the CPU which is the tornado which sucks a lot of power, 2 in the PSU, and the fact that the system is OC'd to 2.6GHz

(BTW I've been 'practicing' RAM oc'ing so instead of 166FSB I've got it up to 186 and thus far thats the highest I got it to go, at 187 it produces errors up the ass but I haven't fully gone back in and gone about it the way you suggested in my thread where I asked :) ) My +3.3 is at 3.36 and +5 at 5.03

Nubius said:
Well I was more looking at the actual ampere rating on the rails not so much the actual voltage when in use for his system. My +12v is at like 11.86 but I've got now 10 case fans running, 1 on the CPU which is the tornado which sucks a lot of power, 2 in the PSU, and the fact that the system is OC'd to 2.6GHz

(BTW I've been 'practicing' RAM oc'ing so instead of 166FSB I've got it up to 186 and thus far thats the highest I got it to go, at 187 it produces errors up the ass but I haven't fully gone back in and gone about it the way you suggested in my thread where I asked :) ) My +3.3 is at 3.36 and +5 at 5.03

ah yah those tornados are power eaters...effective though. 186 is very nice, still stock timings and voltage? my rams the same way...235 runs like a charm, 236 will reboot me lol. stupid NB.

186 is very nice, still stock timings and voltage?
Yes stock 2.6 VDimm and timings of 2.5-3-3-7 so technically I should be able to get it higher right? I tried loosening the cycle time to 8 and upping the Dimm to 2.7 but I still got errors on the first test which generally is a sign that your RAM is really on the verge of getting pushed too far lol...

What would you suggest I try?

I'd go with 188mhz 2.5-4-4-6 2.7v. if that doesnt work try 2.8v, after that if you still get errors it's probably maxed. might try just tightening timings with added voltage if your RAM is maxed. Also did you make sure NB wsn't holding you back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom