HP ProBook 6550b HELP!

Ok, I took out the HardDrive and booted it up, it just says..

Non-System disk or Disk Error
replace and strike any key when ready

Yeah, it's not recognizing the CD drive. That's why F9 wasn't showing it, too. How did he install Ubuntu before? Seems odd that just now, it won't work.

It was working before, after he tryed installing the Ubuntu he asked me to look at it, I did for only a few seconds and I had to leave and while I was there checking it out it was working and goin into all the boot settings and system info and all that stuff, but I have no idea what he did after I had left. He must have been messing with it more and did something else. All I know is someone told my Grandmother they would get windows on it for $100. So I told her I would try to fix it so it don't cost her anything, but I don't think the person has even seen the computer or knows what is wrong.

But what are my options now?.. Do I have to buy a new CD Drive and Hard Drive? Is that my only options with this thing?

Well, it could just be disabled. Go into BIOS (system settings) and look around. I do not know your BIOS, so I can not tell you a specific place to look. There should be a disable/enable option on the disk drive. Could be under the disk configuration, or someplace hidden. Just have to look.

Edit: Or better yet, try to reset the BIOS to factory settings. There's an option in there, in the furthest right tab where it ells you how to restart and all that.

Ok, earlier today I could not get into the BIOS, it was asking for a password, I have no passwords, and I could not get in, is there a Default password for this?

I will look into it tomorrow, thanks for the help so far, much appreciated.

Actually, no. There should be a guide that shows you how to short the BIOS, therefore resetting it to defaults. That may break the password.

Resetting BIOS doesn't always clear the BIOS password, and sometimes clearing BIOS is impossible with laptops.

So if I can not clear the BIOS PW then I am pretty much forced to get a new CD Drive and Hard Drive or the computer is just a paper weight?

Back
Top Bottom