Asus or MSI?

tj_extreme

Daemon Poster
For gaming, video/audio editing, and just an every day rig for the time being (cancelled building my Ivy desktop, holding out for next gen desktop wise.) I'm down to just the Zenbook, and as great as it is, it just can't keep up with demand all the time. Which one would you guys go with? My max budget is $1500 plus tax and shipping. I know the MSI is a bit more expensive, but I'll consider that tax on the Asus :cute:

Asus G75

Newegg.com - ASUS G75 Series G75VW-NS71 Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 17.3" 12GB Memory DDR3 1600 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M

or

MSI G Series

Newegg.com - MSI G Series GT700NC-008US Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 17.3" 12GB Memory 750GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M

I personally like Asus over MSI. Loving my G73 so far.

I do too. I loved the G74, but I had to part with it. The only reason I'm asking opinions is because I've seen a lot of people hating on Asus (specifically the G7x series.) The MSI just doesn't look like it's built well, judging by the pictures.

The MSI one is built like a tank, buddy has an older model, but same design as that one, only thing that has managed to get to it is his 2 year old son that popped a few of the keys off of the hard as hell to find keyboard.

I think the extra $100 justifies the built in 720p webcam, larger HDD, the memory card reader, and the e-sata port. Not gonna look at the pics to make sure the egg didn't miss a port or something, but the MSI laptop seems about dead on, just has a few more things listed for then extra hundred.

That Asus has a card reader, too. IMO, eSATA isn't that widely used by a lot of people.

Only thing really beneficial would be the webcam and the HDD size; but HDD's can be upgraded easily.

But it looks so.. ugly. I don't care about the HDD, I'm swapping that out anyways. I've used e-Sata like once, so I don't really care about that. I'm pretty sure the Asus has e-Sata; at least that's what I've heard in reviews. Does the MSI have an extra HDD/SSD bay like the Asus?

The one my friend has, had two bays, and came with two 500GB drives in Raid 0, that one, I am unsure.

I will look at the manual now, but the MSI one has a full multi-color backlit keyboard, at least, the one on the MSI website does. I know it can handle two mSATA SSD's in RAID0 plus a standard 2.5 HDD/SDD, though, those lil guys are sold separate.

If I can, I would throw up pictures of the model I last looked at, I like it because the whole bottom came off and exposed EVERYTHING for cleaning/upgrading.

EDIT: This is the current GT70, looks like certain versions offer a second HDD, but it appears dual mSATA and one SATAIII port are the standard. I would honestly get the MSI one unless the ASUS offered the same dual mSATA setup with Raid, just installing the OS to those and having a 120GB SATAIII SSD on the side sounds delicious. Or if ASUS included the mSATA drives with the laptop, but I doubt they would, as those puppies are a bit expensive from the last time I looked.
gt70_2.jpg.jpeg

Also, newegg needs to seriously start listing laptops the way manufactures name them. Makes it a PITA to find **** :-\

Well, I like the HDD/SSD situation with the MSI better. I don't need the multicolored keyboard though; I don't want my laptop to look like a LAN party. I like the cooling design on the Asus better.

Asus: 1
MSI: 1

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If we had pictures of the hinge designs, that would probably be what decides the winner. Strangely, cheaper laptops SEEM to have superior screen hinges.

Back
Top Bottom