Dimm Ddr?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
-=DFOX=- said:
LOL, I was just looking at that, thats way more than I need. More like a 3200

Ok, tell me how to check my BIOS please :confused: and will that specifically tell me how much the board can handle? What do I look for?

umm...well depending on what DELL you have it is different. Most of the time it will say sumthing like " To enter SEtup press tthe DEL key" But for my dell it's the F2 key. Once it loads BIOS there should be a page that has memory configurations. See if there is anythign there that says "DualChannel, DC, DoubleChannel" Sumthn along those lines. My guess there isn't or it is greyed out. If you see it but it's greyed out then it either means you need to install the RAM, or you need a BIOS flash to support it.

Also try dell.com support and look up your perticular mobo model. They should have extensive specs and supported hardware...see if it has DualChannel support.

Cool, I did it here at work (Same system) but it did not show up, BUT this machine only has 256. Ill try my own at home, thanks alot.

Im back............I was just thinking. My comp at home is running one stick of 512 and a stick of 256, does that mean in itself that its dual channel? wouldnt I just be able to drop two sticks of 512 in there?

-=DFOX=- said:
Im back............I was just thinking. My comp at home is running one stick of 512 and a stick of 256, does that mean in itself that its dual channel? wouldnt I just be able to drop two sticks of 512 in there?

you can run dual banks of RAM on any mobo...it doesn't mean it's dual channel. DC increases bandwidth and runs faster by optimizing the RAM more efficiently (why most kits are "hand-picked"). You can get a DC kit and run it just fine of course...it just won't optimize that feature. also might be paying $30 more for a DC kit stead of 2 regular 512MB sticks. could save soem money since it doesn't support it anywyas.

Ahh, I see, it would be worth down the line for me when I get a better system, Ill just snag that memory out of there, thanks, your very helpful.

Aright, I shoulda hit this up earlier lol...in response to this:

Is there a difference between these. When I go to Dell to see what memory type I have now it says 184 pin DIMM

Looking at some Corsair 512 sticks, it says DDR
DIMM just means 'Double Inline Memory Module' so it's just referring to the stick because it has chips on both sides. DDR means 'Double Data Rate' which is specifically talking about the rate inwhich data is sent, so basically you are looking at a DDR-DIMM just to clear things up, they aren't two different things, they are just specifications of one thing. The previous type of RAM was SDRAM opposed to DDR and it was SIMM (Single Inline Memory Module), hope that clears that little bit up for ya ;)

Now in response to this:

RAM doesn't come in Dual Channel. When it says 'Dual Channel 1gb Kit' All that means is that the two sticks that come in the package has been tested and are guaranteed to run in dual channel when you purchase them. Both your motherboard AND CPU have to support dual channel in order for it to run..

To acquire dual channel, not only does the motherboard and CPU have to support it, but it's based on what slots the memory is in (which you'd have to refer to your manual or manufacturer website to find out which slots would do this) but generally theres no setting in the BIOS to 'turn on' Dual Channel mode.

Take a look at this motherboard picture:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2-LSR&class=mb

You see how two slots are close to each other and the same color, and the 3rd slot is further away and a different color? What this means is, that the first two slots are "Channel A" and the 3rd different colored slot is "Channel B" they make that 3rd slot seperate and in a different channel specifically so you can run 'Dual Channel'...you see how the name comes to be now? It's only when you have one stick in Channel A and one stick in Channel B which means you have two channels hence 'Dual Channel'

Another thing to remember is, to acquire Dual Channel, the two RAM sticks have to be EXACTLY 100% IDENTICLE....this is why when you see a 1gb kit which is 2 512mb sticks it says 'Dual Channel Memory' in which I explained why they say that because like I said it's been tested to run in Dual Channel.

My comp at home is running one stick of 512 and a stick of 256, does that mean in itself that its dual channel?
Nope because the RAM sticks aren't the same size (and for all I know not the same manufacturer) but you gotta remember, say if you bought a 512mb stick now, and later down the road wanted another, there's a slight chance it may not work in Dual Channel mode because you got them at seperate times and they aren't tested in dual channel like the kits that are paired together. Even if it's the same speed, size, manufacturer, sometimes the tiniest variations in architecture will prevent it from running in Dual Channel.

So all in all you'd have to find out via a manual or manufacturer website for:

A) Whether your motherboard supports Dual Channel
B) Whether your CPU Supports Dual Channel
C) What slots you need to put the memory in for the computer to recognize it and run it in Dual Channel

Hope this clears some things up, Good luck ;)

- Nubius

EDIT: Bah! Dangit 4W I typed all this for nothin! lol, well I hope not atleast, hope he still reads it and understands a little more :D

No man, that was very helpful, specially the pic. So its worth it to get the kit now and make sure they match, even if my comp cant support the dual now, my new system will support it. This is just a temp fix till I splurge and build a system from scratch in 6 months or so. Then I will REALLy be buggin you guys.

Yeah you get a kit and those two sticks are 100% guaranteed by the manufacturer to not only run at a good performance but are also guaranteed to have been tested to run in Dual Channel, so like you said for now your mobo won't support it, but it'll be way worth it in the future when you upgrade :D

Then I will REALLy be buggin you guys.

C-ya then ;)

Nubius said:
EDIT: Bah! Dangit 4W I typed all this for nothin! lol, well I hope not atleast, hope he still reads it and understands a little more :D

Nah it's better to go in depth anyways. You answered all the deeper questions i was too lazy to type about. i'm pretty sure yours made more sense too:)

You answered all the deeper questions i was too lazy to type about.
Well I type insanely fast and anyone who's been here long enough to know me knows I generally write a novel-like response to most thread questions....I've gotten tons of "Whoa! Nubius didn't write a book!" when I say something like "Yeah thats a good choice go with it" and thats it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom