Problematic Desktop PC

luke127

The Ghost
Hey guys I have an old Desktop PC that mum bought and it didn't work. Now I have tried everything I know: Pulled out the graphics card and used the MB signal connection for the screen and it still doesn't work!

The Problem: The box boots then I turn the screen on and it says no signal on the screen?? I am using a Samsung PC screen and the hardrive or the PC itself is an old LG. I don't know the model as I can't access the BIOS because the screen won't connect. I am using one of those blue cables that are commonly used to connect screens to the box. I think it's called a VGA I don't know.

Yeah, VGA cords headers are normally blue. DVI is usually white.

Is this a new computer? If so, I would go back to the store and request a trade-in.

Did you try disconnecting all drives and one stick of RAM? Could be a RAM problem.

It was bought second hand from a Computer Fixer named Mark. However when it didn't boot mum rang him and they tried fixing it but never did. As for the RAM where is it located? Because I have never pulled apart a Desktop PC. Also the screen has a VGA input and a DVI input.

Typically right next to the CPU. Top right side of motherboard. You know what memory sticks look like, right?

The LCD, you mean? Most mid-range monitors do have both.

I have seen a graphics card but never a RAM stick. Do they look similar to those in a laptop but bigger?

Similar to this:

how-to-upgrade-the-memory-of-computer.jpg

There are white slots that look like they would fit that! But they don't have anything in them! Maybe this is the issue

EDIT! This computer has 2 sticks of RAM. The sticks were near the Power box with al the power cords though. Thanks to that pic I found them. The white slots mentioned above are from a MB that I am working on.

The white slots are probably PCI slots. Look at any motherboard on Newegg. It will label where the RAM slots are.

Yep they are the RAM. Okay so not a RAM issue. Could I try a 64 MB Graphics card to replace the current one? But the old one says 64 bit and I am worried that 64MB may be too much power.

Back
Top Bottom