fancy a change..

fluffy

Solid State Member
with the release of ib i have a hankering to build, now this poses an issues for me. currently have a q9300 on an asus p5k pro so its ok as such for most things..
cashflow is not great at the minute but have a bit tucked away so need to spend wisely.
currently have 6870 gfx card and xfx 800 watt psu. 21 inch @1680x1050 widescren
so options are.
1. get a i7 920 and suitable mobo, seem to be cheap at the minute second hand.
2. 2500k and z77 board possibly asus z68 borad or even newer z77 board.
3. 3570k and ASUS P8Z77-V LE or GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H .

will the i7 920 and tripple channel memory system be a better solution than the i5's ?
how long will the 1155 design stay ? will it be replaced in a year or so by some radical new design ?
i think i should be looking at option 3 but i could save money and put that towards an ssd.

do some game playing, bf3, wow, diablo 3 and a couple of others .

like the thought of doing some mild overclocking.
would like the option of going crossfire but not essential.
spent a while trawling websites looking for information but still unable to decide.

any thoughts would be appreciated,
thanks for looking

1366 is dead, stay away.
1155 will be around till intel decides they want more money.

If it was me, I'd get an IB capable 1155 board, Z77 as it has goodies meant for SSDs, and a i5, 2500k if you got the cash, if not a cheaper i5,as long as they are quads.
BUT if you plan on getting more cash in a few months, than an i3 HT cpu, they aren't that horrible as a stop gap, and probably beat the q9300.

Most aren't finding much real world difference between SB and IB, so why not be prepared, but still be fugile?

1155 will be around till probably 2013 when they release Haswell which will be socket 1150. Getting an i3 now and getting an i7 3770k later is still a very good upgrade even when the new stuff comes out.
Agreed, stay away from the older 1366 platform. They are good CPUs and you can probably get a 920 for cheap but isn't much of an upgrade over what you currently have. I would say if your wallet permits, grab a P67 or Z68 board with a 2500k.

thanks for the replys, i have been looking around and the lower end z77 boards are looking to be the same as the z68 boards available.
i prefer asus as i have never had any issues wih them as boards but have been recomended the asrock extreme 4. as a manfacturer do they rate well ? its easy to find bad reviews about things on the net but not too easy to find positive ones.

z77 boards have features to get the bgest out of SSDs.

Asrock, use to be a lower end division of Asus. Theyve now split, and some have said qualities gone up.

You're best coarse of action would be to google the crzap out of whatever board you are looking at, as it seems its very board/model issue than brand.

been using google and looking around and it seems everyone is raving about the asrock, just remember the "00" fault from a few years ago and it well to be honest kind worries me ...
can't seem to find anyone complaining about this board yet...

Back
Top Bottom