Full Red Screen (Not RSoD)

Quality is an illusion with HDMI cables due to the digital signal, so long as there's an electrical connection from one end to the other it doesn't really matter, they'll all perform the same. Your symptoms to me suggest a graphics card based issue, either it's not receiving enough power, overheating or there's an issue with the card in my opinion.

And it would be the GPU. If not for the fact iut happens on my GPU and iGPU and it does not happen under a full load but normally on a low on even non existent load such as a movie or something online. It's not the graphics, not mem, I don't think it's the PSU because it happened before I put the GTX 680 in which draws alot of extra power, plus under a stress test it didn't happen, when the computer would be pulling alot of power from PSU.
I really hate to say it but I am going to have to RMA m,y Mobo and hope that that is the problem. I am going to try and get my friends spare 1000w and see if it happens using that just for the hell of it and to cover every angle...
I REALLY DON'T WANA RMA DAMN IT LOL.
Also, thanks for everyone who tried to help I really do apriciate it.

Hey man, I found this thread via googling. It turns out me and you have what sounds like, the same exact problem.

I also have a GTX 680. Brand spankin new. I also installed a new motherboard the same day i got this card, so i thought this could be one of the problems. I'm a computer technicnian, so i've done quite a bit of testing on my own. I think I can offer you some insight into whats going on.

Bad Power Supply. yeah i said it. I have a Corsair TX 750 V2 thats about a year old. I've tested all other components in the computer. Memory, Hard drive, Stress Testing on GPU and CPU. Funny thing is, my computer runs fine playing Battlefield 3 maxed out all settings. it only Red Screens randomly on the desktop when i'm surfing the web or downloading stuff.

Specs:
I have a Asus GTX 680 DC2O OC
Asus Rampage III Formula Motherboard
Dual Seagate 1TB Drives in RAID 0
Corsair TX 750w V2
Swiftech Watercooling kit
Corsair 6GB DDR3 Tri Channel Memory CX1600C8

I just ordered a brand new Corsair TX 850W from Amazon and i'm having it over-nighted with saturday priority. I'm going to replace it and report back and let you know.

May be a couple of days because i cannon replicate the problem on my own. It just happens once or twice a day. Sometimes it will do it back to back, sometimes it wont.

I run a dual screen setup. One connected DVI and the 2nd monitor which is VGA only, connected to the 680 via a VGA to DVI Converter. Yes i have the VGA to DVI converter plugged into the right slot :p.

I thought this thread was going to be full of a bunch of ppl with the same problem as me and you, but it wasnt. Thread needs to be cleaned up by mods imo..

Finally i leave you with a picture of my RSOD if you could call it that. Let me know if this is the same issue you are having.

S6tio.jpg

I have the same problem as you. i posted more about it but for some reason the post got moderated. Once the moderation team approves it you'll see my thoughts and data on the issue.

I have the same problem as you. i posted more about it but for some reason the post got moderated. Once the moderation team approves it you'll see my thoughts and data on the issue.

Was it with ASUS or sabertooth Z77? Ever get it resolved?

This forum doesn't have a post moderation feature for new users. I could be wrong however but none of my posts when I was a newbie were ever moderated. So I don't think there is. However Mak or Trotter can answer your question as they are the forum admins.

sigh i guess i'll type it all up again. It was 4 paragraph's with picture and everything. /Rant..

Mods plz delete my other post if ever shows up :p

I googled the problem and it led me to this forum post.

I have the same exact problem as the OP has told us about. out of no-where, the screen will turn solid red. It has happened about 5 times already, and started yesterday night shortly after installing my new GTX 680 and Asus Motherboard. Out of those 5 times, I only got a error dump once from windows.

Error code 124. BlueScreenView says it has something to do with NTOSKRNL.EXE. Upon further research, this error is related to Hardware Failure.

I'm a computer technician, do it for a living, so i've done extensive testing on all of my hardware. Memory test were fine after 3 passes. Hard Drive test is fine. Stress test CPU is fine,, Stress test GPU is fine. I can play any game, including Battlefield 3 maxed out, without any problems. The red screen only happens while i'm doing stuff on desktop. So far anyways.....

Just before this started happening i was getting the famous BSOD 116 while gaming (before i bought this new GTX 680 and Asus Rampage III Motherboard). This is usually a problem with the graphics card or PSU. So i bought a new Motherboard, and Graphics Card. Got the new motherboard since it was on sale and i wanted something that supported USB 3.0 and Sata 6. I had doubts about it being the power supply, since corsair usually makes good ****, and the PSU was only 7 months old. So I just ran with the new mobo and Graphics card to see if my problems would end.

Current Hardware Specs:

• Intel i7 920 D0 Stepping (no overclocks on anything while trying to debugg this problem)
  • Asus Rampage III Formula 1366 Motherboard (newest bios)
  • Asus GTX 680 DC2O Graphics Card (newest driver)
  • Corsair 6GB DDR3 Ram Tri-Channel CX1600C8XXXX
  • Corsair TX 750 V2 Power Supply
  • Dual Seagate 1TB Drives in RAID 0
  • Maxtor 500GB Hard drive dock connected with e-sata on front ports
  • Dual Screen Monitors. 1 is DVI, the other is VGA connected to GTX 680 via a VGA to DVI Adapter
  • Swiftech Water Cooling Kit. CPU only.

Swapped out the Graphics Card and motherboard yesterday. Everything ran fine for a few hours. Then out of no-where, my screen turns red while i was checking my email on the desktop. I proceeded to game all night playing DoTA 2 and BF3. No more problems all night.

Today i get up, check email, browse reddit, BAM, Red Screen on both monitors. (it will stay red until i cut the power) the computer does not restart on its own.

After testing everything, i have come to the conclusion that the Power Supply is at fault. I think on the GTX 680 Chipset, the Red screen happens when there is not enough power or there is a TDR Stop error. The GTX 480's and 580's would just throw out a 116 Error Stop when this would happen.

I suggest trying a different power supply before you RMA any hardware. I am ordering a replacement power supply, probably a Corsair TX 850w from amazon with overnight shipping saturday priority. I will post back if this fixed the issue. It may be a few days, because i cannot replicate the problem. It just happens randomly.

Here is the Mini-Dump (the only one i ever got out of 5 RSOD's): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3783766/dump rsod.zip

Here is a pic of the Red Screen:

rsod.jpg

This forum doesn't have a post moderation feature for new users. I could be wrong however but none of my posts when I was a newbie were ever moderated. So I don't think there is. However Mak or Trotter can answer your question as they are the forum admins.

Dead wrong, Luke. They have post moderation. But it does not always catch everybody.

Dead wrong, Luke. They have post moderation. But it does not always catch everybody.

It does have Moderation. Usually it catches it when a person makes their first post, and includes a link in the post. If they make just a regular all text post (no hyperlinks), then moderation doesn't usually go into effect.

sigh i guess i'll type it all up again. It was 4 paragraph's with picture and everything. /Rant..

Mods plz delete my other post if ever shows up :p

I googled the problem and it led me to this forum post.

I have the same exact problem as the OP has told us about. out of no-where, the screen will turn solid red. It has happened about 5 times already, and started yesterday night shortly after installing my new GTX 680 and Asus Motherboard. Out of those 5 times, I only got a error dump once from windows.

Error code 124. BlueScreenView says it has something to do with NTOSKRNL.EXE. Upon further research, this error is related to Hardware Failure.

I'm a computer technician, do it for a living, so i've done extensive testing on all of my hardware. Memory test were fine after 3 passes. Hard Drive test is fine. Stress test CPU is fine,, Stress test GPU is fine. I can play any game, including Battlefield 3 maxed out, without any problems. The red screen only happens while i'm doing stuff on desktop. So far anyways.....

Just before this started happening i was getting the famous BSOD 116 while gaming (before i bought this new GTX 680 and Asus Rampage III Motherboard). This is usually a problem with the graphics card or PSU. So i bought a new Motherboard, and Graphics Card. Got the new motherboard since it was on sale and i wanted something that supported USB 3.0 and Sata 6. I had doubts about it being the power supply, since corsair usually makes good ****, and the PSU was only 7 months old. So I just ran with the new mobo and Graphics card to see if my problems would end.

Current Hardware Specs:

• Intel i7 920 D0 Stepping (no overclocks on anything while trying to debugg this problem)
  • Asus Rampage III Formula 1366 Motherboard (newest bios)
  • Asus GTX 680 DC2O Graphics Card (newest driver)
  • Corsair 6GB DDR3 Ram Tri-Channel CX1600C8XXXX
  • Corsair TX 750 V2 Power Supply
  • Dual Seagate 1TB Drives in RAID 0
  • Maxtor 500GB Hard drive dock connected with e-sata on front ports
  • Dual Screen Monitors. 1 is DVI, the other is VGA connected to GTX 680 via a VGA to DVI Adapter
  • Swiftech Water Cooling Kit. CPU only.

Swapped out the Graphics Card and motherboard yesterday. Everything ran fine for a few hours. Then out of no-where, my screen turns red while i was checking my email on the desktop. I proceeded to game all night playing DoTA 2 and BF3. No more problems all night.

Today i get up, check email, browse reddit, BAM, Red Screen on both monitors. (it will stay red until i cut the power) the computer does not restart on its own.

After testing everything, i have come to the conclusion that the Power Supply is at fault. I think on the GTX 680 Chipset, the Red screen happens when there is not enough power or there is a TDR Stop error. The GTX 480's and 580's would just throw out a 116 Error Stop when this would happen.

I suggest trying a different power supply before you RMA any hardware. I am ordering a replacement power supply, probably a Corsair TX 850w from amazon with overnight shipping saturday priority. I will post back if this fixed the issue. It may be a few days, because i cannot replicate the problem. It just happens randomly.

Here is the Mini-Dump (the only one i ever got out of 5 RSOD's): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3783766/dump rsod.zip

Here is a pic of the Red Screen:

rsod.jpg

SAME FING SCREEN! RAGE
IU did alot of research and counlt find jack on the issue except concerning a GTX failure. I will try the 1000w im getting and I'm literly one day off the newegg rma so I have to go through coolmaster if thats the case.

Back
Top Bottom