New CPU but unsure about the motherboard

KenneX

Beta member
Just bought a AMD Phenom II X2 560 processor and looking for a new motherboard possibly a gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 Doing this as a side project for school. I want to be able to learn more about overclocking, but want to make the right choice. Still very new with only one build under my belt. Any advice would be great. I have 4 gigs of ddr3 ram thats going into it along with an extra geforce 8800 gt. Any advice would be great.

this video might help, though i dont think that that motherboard is really known for a good overclock. you might be limiting yourself, but the price seems right.

Yea that board will be very limited in the overclocking features. Even if the bios has basic overclocking features the VRM isn't really enough to push too much power.

Thanks for the video ... that almost seems to easy. I didn't see what his CPU was getting before the oc. I started to shop around some more and am also curious about unlocking cores ... not sure what it meant. What type of mobo would you guys suggest around the same price if not slightly higher? Thanks for any and all advice.

How did you find out the VRM for that board and how much it can take?
Not trying to sound arrogant, but experience. By looking at the model I could tell it was an mATX board which typically aren't made for much OCing. A simple Google showed me a pic which shows 3+1. (the box does too)

Back
Top Bottom