Dimm Ddr?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

-=DFOX=-

Baseband Member
Is there a difference between these. When I go to Dell to see what memory type I have now it says 184 pin DIMM

Looking at some Corsair 512 sticks, it says DDR

Will it still work?

If Im reading right, as long as I have 184 pin memory slot, any 184 pin memory will work?

Maybe a dumb question, but the pins ARE the little tabs on the memory right? So I could just count those?

you should really check the other specifications on the ram.
There are things like EEC (thats what it is, right?)
There are also different speed that it runs at
pc3200, pc2700

U should check it out

It needs to be same pin count, supported speed (PC3200 i suppose since you are looking at those), it most likely needs to be NON-ECC registered/Unbuffered (unless you are running a server machine specially made for that kind of RAM). DELL should work with most Corsair modules...however it's not guaranteed. Older DELL motherboards are extremely picky with what brand of RAM they take. It will most likely work though...

Im looking at Newegg, another question. I want to get two sticks of 512, I only have two slots available. looking at Kingston also.(a little cheaper)

Look at this link .MEMORY LINK

It says dual channel, do I need to set my comp up in a special way to run dual channel? How can tell if my comp can even do that? And, how do I know my comp can handle that much memory.

You guys rock, keep the help coming :cool:

ALSO: Which is better a low or high bandwith? Im guessing high

-=DFOX=- said:
Im looking at Newegg, another question. I want to get two sticks of 512, I only have two slots available. looking at Kingston also.(a little cheaper)

Look at this link MEMORY LINK

It says dual channel, do I need to set my comp up in a special way to run dual channel? How can tell if my comp can even do that? And, how do I know my comp can handle that much memory.

You guys rock, keep the help coming :cool:

ALSO: Which is better a low or high bandwith? Im guessing high.

If you're running stock Kingston is fine...it can overclock OK but i have never seen compeetable performance in the really high overclocking range.

Dual Channel is good, but your mobo has to support it. Most DELL's do not support it, but just to check go in BIOS and see if it is listed. High bandwidth is always better...you want alot:)

You know that is PC4300 correct? I'm not sure if your mobo will uspport RAM that fast. might be wrong though.

LOL, I was just looking at that, thats way more than I need. More like a 3200

Ok, tell me how to check my BIOS please :confused: and will that specifically tell me how much the board can handle? What do I look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom