Troubleshoot some odd artifacting

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
It's been a while since I've had any issues that didn't solve themselves quickly but here we are.

Cpu: 2600k (nothing OCed in months)
mem: 8gb
gpu: 480 gtx
psu: Corsair 850

K, I'm getting some artifacting in dota 2, pretty much every game but only minor amounts of it, usually crazy bars that stretch across the screen jutting out from characters or towers. It started happening right after a game update. I thought it might be a driver issue so uninstalled my drivers and tried to update to the newest ones. Ran into detection problems with the nvidia and gigabyte drivers. Eventually I got it all installed through custom options but I'm still getting the same odd artifacting. I pulled the card, cleaned it out and changed the thermal paste. Reset CMOS and fired up FurMark...passed no problems, max temp at 92C. Back into dota 2 and got a couple minor issues in the game again.

Pulled then entire system and cleaned it all out, new paste on cpu as well. Ran Prime 95 for a couple of hours, no problems. Back into dota and again the same artifacting.....I'm going to swipe out the card and try my 260 out of my htpc but in the meantime any other ideas?

Thanks.

I've swapped over to the 260 and no artifacting in my first game, just some minor lag. Can't figure out what the problem is and my plan to put my 480 into my htpc to test it out is a fail as the card is too big for the case.

Could take the board out of the case, and set it up that way; it'd be a pain to do though lol.

Hey guys, another update in case anyone has any ideas. The issue seems to be getting worse, here is an example of the artifacting:

gpu2.jpg

Here are the escalating issues:
1. Artifacting is getting worse, last night I had a game go completely beserk on me. Usually the artifacts are like the above and don't interfere but I've had a couple games now that it's gotten so bad it does cause problems.

2. I've gotten booted twice now, game just minimizes and won't open again. Once I had to go through the task manager to shut it down and re-connect and the other time I had to force shut down.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss and I really don't want to tear apart my htpc if I don't have to.

To recap, no issues when I stress test the gpu, play dungeon defenders or skyrim, I only seem to have problems with dota 2.

Back
Top Bottom