Weird problems regarding laptop. Help!

Either way, we need to know if the RAM will pass memtest overnight, and we NEED to know average system tempertures. Bad RAM can cause stuttering, lag, and most of all, corrupted downloads as seen earlier if I remember right. Same with a corrupted file system.

Ok, I don't really know how this works, so here's the pictures for the temps one 8min after booting, and the other 2hrs in. Just did some surfing and some word processing. I didn't play Assassin's Creed (had some work to do lol), and since classes will be starting anyway, word browsing, internet and ebooks would be my primary usage now.

I haven't had time to do the memtest yet, (I'll be going out tom, and need to take the laptop with me, and that's less than 12hrs away, and you said 12hrs min.)

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/kgomez4487/Forum/8min.png
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/kgomez4487/Forum/1hr54min.png

Forum is saying they're too large

Those CPU temps are quite high, IMO. Have you tried blowing out the dust from the vents with canned air? Might also suggest getting a cooling pad for it as well.

Looks like your CPU sits a bit on the hot side, but I am not familiar with the mobile i5 series, or much of anything to do with Intel.

Edit: Carnage beat me to it, least that's two people saying it looks like the CPU is sitting a bit warm.

Actually its sitting on an induction cooling pad, but its not very strong anymore. And its been a year since I bought it. Does being in a tropical country affect the temperature reading? I'm in the Philippines, very near the equator.

Intel Core i5-460M Mobile processor (CP80617004116AI)

As far as I can tell, that's the CPU I have.

Anyway, Its been a year since I bought the laptop, no cleaning, but I do have a scheduled meeting tom for professional insides cleaning of my laptops. I have another laptop at home that had the graphics chip melted before (the nvidia debacle from 2009), and since it has been fixed, I've been having it cleaned every six months. I'm going to have both laptops cleaned out tomorrow.

Yes, being in a tropical environment can affect temperatures; it'll be warmer near the equator in your house (unless you have AC), raising the ambient temperature of the PC itself, which will affect the cooling capabilities of the heatsink (only so much heat can be dissipated into a warm-air environment).

Ok, so with that in mind, are those temperatures still sort of safe? As of the moment, I am in my apartment near school. I just moved in to this one so no AC yet, but planning to have one installed. So I would probably need a newer better cooling fan as well then, whether or not there is a heat problem?

What is the normal air temperture there? 20F above ambient isn't bad for a laptop, but dangerous heat levels no matter what the ambient is, is still dangerous. Still, run a memtest when you can, and get the lappy cooled down just a tid-bit.

Well, these past few weeks, normal air temperature according to weather news ranges at 32C and lowest at 28C. A couple of weeks ago it hit 37C. It summer season here (not sure in other countries, I think its not yet summer in the US?). 20F above ambient? I'm way above that. :( That's like 40F above ambient.

Back
Top Bottom