PLEASE HELP!!! Sometimes my computer doesn't even start up,may be related to othr tpc

Status
Not open for further replies.

chziime

Baseband Member
I have as Asus Socket 939 motherboard, Enermax 460 Watt PSU, and XP is on a 74GB Raptor. Usually when I start up, it would take a long time for the bars to go away, the harddrive (I think) would start making a beep-click noise, and then it would just be a black screen. I'd have to force-shutdown and restart, and it asks me how to start up the system: Safe mode, last settings that working, or normally. Usually I'd choose last settings or normally, and eventually it would start up fine. Just before, I kept trying this like 8 times and it wouldn't start up. I chose "Safe mode with networking" and it did something, then it went back to the same choice screen and I chose "normally", and it started up OK. I don't even think I'm in safe mode right now.. how can I tell? It may just be a coincidence that it worked. What can I do about my startup problem? Can it be my PSU? What about my BIOS settings? I experimented with that a little.

Your HD might be dying out. Is the sound a LOUD rattling. Open up your PC and isolate the sound. Worse yet maybe something is fried in your mobo. Have a good look around. But if a rattling sound is coming from your HD I REALLY recommend that you back it up fast. Download some diagnostic tools or an HD health program. If your HD supports S.M.A.R.T you can use those tools to test your disk and a program like Drive Health actually gives you a hint of when your HD might die out.

Also make sure your fans are operating properly. Clean off the dust.

It's not a rattiling, it's a beep that occurs every few seconds. I don't even know if it's from the harddrive. BTW, how can I get DriveHealth to use my C drive? It only monitors my D drive, which I don't use as much.

Actually, the same thing sometimes happens with my CD/DVD RW drive. Sometimes when I enter a CD, it just clicks every few seconds, and I have to open it up and put the disc back in for it to work.

Download Everest Home Edition it willl also tell you about your HD and it will even benchmark your overall PC and you can compare it to others. As for Drive Health if you have two HD in your PC just click the other one at the top where the pictures are.

I don't know about your ROM drive though. What brand is it?

Your PC sounds like it needs to me surgically repaired. Who built your PC? Switch your PSU and get an Antec one and see if that fixes your problems. Maybe your PSU is not giving out enough power (but I find that hard to believe with a 460W) or it is not relaying power properly. Are you still on warranty. I would return that PC if I were you (that is if you could). Make sure all the plugs are in right. Open up your PC and have a look inside make sure there are no lose plugs especially those connecting the power to the devices. Also make sure there are no lose plugs on your mobo. I had a PC tell me I didn't have a CD-RW once but in actually I kicked the PC by accident and the plug fell off the mobo.

I have a 4 year techincal support, warranty, and ONSITE SERVICE for my PC. If I can't figure this out, I'll use the onsite service.

More information: The beep/click sound that happens when it doesn't start up comes from my CD/DVD drive! It's the same exact sound as when it doesn't read a disc (which happens sometimes, but it's obviously quicker to solve). The problem starting up usually happens after I turn on the computer after shutting it down over night, and after the lock-ups that I get that I mention in my other topic. When I normally restart after installing a program or something, it usually works fine.

PLEASE HELP. Anyone who has information on this will be greatly appreciated!

If that dosnt do it it may be the hard drive or power supply.The diagonstic tools idea is a good idea.

There is NO WAY I'm reformatting. My hard drive is doing fine according to the tests. Besides, the CD/DVD RW drive is the one that beeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom