accidently spoiled an egg on my motherboard

anggun999

Baseband Member
hi guys.. I have an open chasis computer, which components are totally exposed. i accidently droped an egg on to the motherboard. The egg cracked, and the motherboard is like a frying pan. The transformator of the PSU also got some. I didn't know what to do. so I shut down the computer, and tried to wipe the egg off the motherboard. but I guess it was too late. the egg now turned white and plastic hard.., and impossible to remove with a cloth. I tried to turn back the computer on, but after 3 minutes, it just lost it's power. I guess the egg did a short circuit on the components.

I then waited for 1 hour, hoping to find an answer on how to remove the harden egg off the motherboard. I turned the computer on ( again), and now after 15 minutes shut down automatically. I turned it back on, and never had a problem since then.

it's been about 2 hours, since the computer didn't shut down.

my question is.. what should I do? should I leave the egg and continue to use my computer normally?

thanks for your help guys..

I actually laughed really hard at this! Seems like a massive troll post but i assume it isn't seeing as though you joined in 2005.

I don't know what you can do to be honest. If your PC is functioning like normal again I would just leave it and carry on using it as you usually do, if it isn't working properly the way i see it is you only have three options.

1) Try and clean it with something (Can't suggest what as I've never had this problem)
2) Bring it to a repair shop somewhere for them to see if they can repair it.
3) Build or buy a new PC and use this one as a frying pan.

I actually laughed really hard at this! Seems like a massive troll post but i assume it isn't seeing as though you joined in 2005.

I don't know what you can do to be honest. If your PC is functioning like normal again I would just leave it and carry on using it as you usually do, if it isn't working properly the way i see it is you only have three options.

1) Try and clean it with something (Can't suggest what as I've never had this problem)
2) Bring it to a repair shop somewhere for them to see if they can repair it.
3) Build or buy a new PC and use this one as a frying pan.

1) Use high percentage isopropyl alcohol (at least 90% would be best), and either a lint free cloth (microfiber), or if you want something cheap to use... use coffee filters. They're cheap, and you get a lot in a package.

Option 3 would probably be the best option, however. I would stop trying to turn it on... if anything, it's making it worse and you could further damage other components.

+1 on toothbrush.

I actually use a stiff bristle paint brush dipped in 98% medical grade alcohol to clean boards most the time, at least, when it comes to getting crud off of them, if that fails, I tend to take a tooth brush to it for some better scrubbing action. Just be careful and DON'T knock a transistor or cap off of the motherboard.

Thank you all for the replies.. and sorry for my late reply.. :D

I'll definitely try all the suggested solutions..

I'll get back as soon as I have. ( the computer is however working just fine.. no more power losses or what so ever. I'm just so worried that someday it will produce fire or something. that would NOT be good)

Ah man, this was a funny case.

If cleaning it doesn't work, take it to a PC shop before you build a new one just in case they have some tricks up their sleeves.

We just gave the, "tips n tricks" shops would use. Most of the older members here with higher post counts tend to work at shops or in IT departments :-\

Back
Top Bottom