Building a high end gaming comp

Runfox

In Runtime
I am building a new comp soon, looking to build a high end gaming computer that will handle any game. I mainly want to play MW3 and first person shooters. My budget is $1400.00
My picks so far : CPU Intel i5 3550 Ivy bridge
Graphics card: EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
Mother board: GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX . Im not set on this board, the main thing Im looking for is the Z77 chip set to go with the CPU.
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL I think I definitely want 16 gig.
Main drive: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD
Thats what I have so far, I need suggestions for power supply, CPU cooler. I have a case in mind. My freinds tell me I should spend about the same amount on the CPU as the Gprahics, I dont know if that holds true. The main thing I want is good graphics,. I have a 24" monitor, I am shooting to play the games at top settings. I don't know what resolution you all play games at, I figure 1920x1080 should be more than enough, I don't see trying to play top end at 2650x1600. Any help is appreciated, its been like 9 years since I built my fist comp so this ones long overdue!!

I would get a better graphics card if you are building a high-end rig. After all, it is the graphics card does most of the job for gaming.The gtx 560 ti is not bad but its a bit old already. GTX670 would be ideal just like what Roark suggested.

Also you may as well get a k version of the 3550 if your set on that CPU, just so you have the option to overclock.

Unless of course you go with the build Roark suggested which is already a better CPU and can be overclocked.

Also, you probably already know, MW3 can run on an old Sony Ericsson I have lying around. So no worries about running that, however if you want to run games like battlefield 3, while the 560ti will play it maxed it won't be smooth so id get a 670 like the others have suggested.

Thanks all for the help! I have been doing some reading and was originally looking at the i5-3550 but read on Toms Hardware that its not the best for gaming. They had a good review on a couple of core i5's , "Core i5-3570K, -3550, -3550S, And -3570T: Ivy Bridge Efficiency ". From that article I agree the i5-3570K is worth the $20 bucks more. Apparently the K unlocked version performs better. I have a question for you all. What does the Intel HD graphics 2500 - 4000 mean on these cpu s? Is that built in graphics or what, cause the i5-3570k has the 4000 , where the i5-3550 is only 2500, which is one reason Toms hardware recommended it over the 3550. And yeah Im looking at the GTX 670 too. I like EVGA brand for graphics card, they have been good to me in the past.

Yeah, its integrated graphics.

The higher number for the integrated graphics the better. Not that you will be using the integrated graphics with a 670.

So if I use a graphics card, what good does the integrated graphics do for me , and what difference does it make how high or low the number. This is the first I have heard of integrated graphics in a CPU, I dont see the point myself. Wouldn't anyone building computer with a high end Intel CPU be using a graphics card???

You can completely ignore integrated graphics if you have a discrete card.

Integrated graphics are useful for people who build over time, so you can run the rig until you can afford a card.
They're also useful for some laptops, and if you don't do graphically intensive tasks but still need the CPU power.

The higher or lower number is the same as how you can tell what graphics card is higher end e.g you know that a 570 is more powerful than a 560 because it is a higher number (this is when looking at the same generation of Nvidia cards).

like Roark said, integrated graphics are useful if building over time or just for the general people who know nothing about PC's, like my mum and dad. They have a I5 2500 but no graphics card as they don't need one for what they do so the integrated is good for them.

in addition to what they had said i would like to recommend buying low integrated computer rather than buying high integrated computer with same specs as the low integrated one, due to this (integrated graphics) will be ignored once you had build your computer its own integrated Graphic card.

Back
Top Bottom