Opinons on possible computer needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimp

In Runtime
Oh wise and powerful tech gurus please pass on your wisdom to lowly little me.

I basically want a comp which will run hl2/cs:s (crucial)/dod:s at full speed on high settings (but hey, who doesn't :D) and was wondering wether this would get me close.

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Socket 939)
AMD Athlon 64 3000
(2) Crucial 512MB DDR PC3200
XFX GeForce 6800 Extreme Gamers Edition 128MB DDR

I think that's about it for the important parts.

Right, 1st things first (well obviously, first things won't exactly be last will they?)

Is there any compatability issues with that stuff? like wrong mobo etc. Is there anything better (brands/models) for about the same price range?

Also, I don't mind waiting if anything major will be released soon which might push down some of the newer card prices :D (If there is anything like that happening soon then please tell me)

And finally, how would it fair with hl2/cs:s and dod:s ?

Thanks a lot to those who help :D

First of all, I wouldn't get the XFX GeForce 6800 Extreme Gamers Edition 128MB. One of our forum members got that card and kicks himself for doing it. Get the eVGA 6800GT 256MB instead. You will be so much happier. Secondly, I would double my RAM amound to 1GB. 512MB can still run todays games, but you really need 1GB to get full performance, especially in Doom 3.

A few questions Shrimp and I can help you...

(1) What is the MAXIMUM amount you want to spend for everthing?
(2) Do you already have old parts, or are you building a system from scratch?
(3) Do you just need a computer, or monitor, speakers, etc?

PizzatheHut06 said:
A few questions Shrimp and I can help you...

(1) What is the MAXIMUM amount you want to spend for everthing?
(2) Do you already have old parts, or are you building a system from scratch?
(3) Do you just need a computer, or monitor, speakers, etc?

1: Around 600-700 pounds
2:From Scratch, entirely new parts (current comp is absolutely awful)
3: Just the tower

The following prices are from newegg. I checked the current conversion, and your 600-700 pounds is about $1,110-$1295. Let me know what you think of this system:

CPU- AMD Athlon 64 3200+...$151
Motherboard- ASUS K8V SE Deluxe...$114
RAM- 1GB Corsair XMS PC3200...$205
Hard Drive- 160 GB Western Digital...$91
Video Card- eVGA nVidia 6800 GT...$399
Optical Drive- Sony DVD/CD-RW Combo 52x32x52x16...$40
Case- Thermaltake XaserV w/ Antec 480W psu...$157
Operating System- Windows XP Home...$91

That comes to a total price of $1287. That would be a really sweet rig, definitely able to run anything out there on very high settings. Note however, that the CPU is Socket 754 instead of 939. What this means is that your CPU will not be upgradeable to anything higher than an AMD Athlon 64 3400+. The reason is that AMD has quit making the socket 754 line, and has started making their processors in socket 939. Socket 754 is much cheaper though, and I thought it would be better to put the money into your video card than processor. Also, the CPU listed will be good for a very long time, so I don't think you need to worry about having to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom