PLEASE HELP!!! Games keep freezing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
chziime said:
I don't think it's a cooling problem. I fixed my cooling problems. Doesn't the 6800 Ultra only need lat least 350 or something? The 460 thing turned out false...

I read those articles but...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/nv40_4.html

It all depends how much things you have inside your PC and what type of things. Also, if you have a very good PSU that is 350W it is often better than a no name generic PSU that is 450W.

But to play it safe 450W PSU minimum is what most PC gamers recommend for their rig and 500W if they want to overclock. Having a good PSU also lowers the heat because at a high wattage all components don't need to stress out the PSU to get their power.

What is your PSU? I have seen 6800 Ultras quite unstable when maxing out graphic options and playing graphically intensive games with a low PSU.

I even had a friend install a 9800 Pro in a 240 PSU and let's just say he got VERY fustrated fast but what else is there for him to do? He is a crappy Dell.

If you find that the problem is not isolated to your PSU...like I said if your card finds itself overheating it should REBOOT your machine not just freeze it. You can go into your BIOS and check the temps. If you think your temps are fine that it is most likely a driver issue.

As I said, Nvidia's support for Direct3D is less than stellar unlike ATI. The games you listed (Far Cry and HL2) are Direct3D games. Does this happen often too when you play an OpenGL game like Doom 3?

1. I have an Enermax 460 Watt Whisper PSU

2. I don't have Doom 3, but it ONCE happened when playing BF1942 Desert Combat mod.

chziime said:
1. I have an Enermax 460 Watt Whisper PSU

2. I don't have Doom 3, but it ONCE happened when playing BF1942 Desert Combat mod.

Once is nothing. But if it frequently happens to the same type of games (Direct3D) than you know it's a driver issue. I don't know what type of game BF1942 is...is it OpenGL?

The same thing happened with multiple drivers (the current NVidia one, the 62.11 or whatever the last official one was, and some unofficial 68.88 or whatever all had the same problem).

well, one was mentioned with doom 3, and that was opt for opengl, so his nvidia should of handled it. If happening with d3d and gl, then if not the PSU or cooling maybe mbd chipset drivers.

I have had problems where during game play (bf1942dc, flight sims, splinter cell) that the game would freeze, either with a black screen or what i was doing at the moment. I know I have alot in my box, so I am thinking its the lack of power for the video card. I havent had a chance to unplug two of my hd and one of my optical drives to see if then I dont have the problem. But I have ruled everything else out. Do you think moving from 400w to 550w would be suficent?

It looks like today we are going to have to get 500w - 600w+ psu for the power sucking video cards and everything else.

The next pc I am going to build I'll build a full tower case with two psu's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom