ABIT NF7-M & random reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlittlebear

Baseband Member
kind of at a loss trying to figure out what is wrong with this mainboard. Some background. I bought a PC for a guy at work using this mainboard. I had little to no prob with it, drivers and everything installed fine, great audio and video for an MX. Well after he got it he started to complain of random reboots. Well before I was told about it becoming a prob I had built me a new PC based off this same mainboard. In win2k it was having sever driver prob for the video. In XP it instlled fine. In both OSs I got the same random reboots. Though I do not get these problems in Linux, tried 2 distros just for arguements sake, RH9 and Slackware.

My problem is trying to figure out what is up with this board, if it is the board. I today gave it the new bios, all the newest drivers off the abit site. I have no devices with the yellow or red tag on them.

This PC Specs:
2700+xp
120gb
80gb hdd
sony 16x dvd drive
1280mb pc2700 micron ram
dlink 530TX+ NIC (for linux)

Other PC spec with same prob:
2100+xp
80gb hdd
512mb pc 2100 micron ram
sony 16x dvd
BTC 48x CDRW

I hope this is enough information to help anyone help me.

edit--

forgot 1 other thing. When ever I turn on this PC or reboot it I get a beep, and not the usual POST beep. It comes before the video card bios is flashed on screen. That does not really bother me just courious.

Both systems have two (main) things in common- they are the same motherboard and the same brand of RAM.

This may not be the cause of the problem, but I think I would try a differnet brand of RAM in one or both of the PC's.

The other thing leading me to believe it may be the RAM is that the "1 beep" you mentioned, on most boards/BIOSs, is a RAM error... usaully.

kk, the way the other guy was describing his prob I was thinking bad ram too. I will play around with mine. I have 3 sticks total in it. and see if swaping them around helps to get rid of the beep.

OK, justy tried all the RAM in at 1 at the time. I got the beep. Really though it does not sound like a beep, if compared to the POST beep.

only have micron ram, the other PC is older and is using PC133. Powersupply is 300. Tried uping the power stuff, but I dont see vcore, I have
CPU core voltage, uped to 1.675 from 1.65 (was the next up)
DDR SDRAM voltage 2.6
Chipset voltage 1.6v
agp voltage 1.5v

Speaking of power setting, after I first installed XP, and the driver cd I installed the HW monitor too, and got an alarm on initial run. Vbat(3.3V dual Voltage in BIOS) was runnnig at 3.68 when it is supposed to run at 3.3.

forgot to mention, yes bios 19. after upping that voltage I got the idea to run a burn in test. I downloaded Sisoft Sandra and running its burnin test. Any other time the PC had that kind of load like say with Everquest for 5min it would reboot.

Also on the muffled beep sound, anytime I start up the HWmonitor it does it again, same sound.

edit--

just had a "random" reboot while doing burnin test.

windbond hardware doctor, 2.70
uped ram voltage from 2.6 to 2.7

while running sandra it crashed half the time and the other half the PC rebooted.

so what are some good ram brands, and prices where to get said ram. Also, know if I can use this as a reason to return the ram?

after making this change to the ram voltage I re ran the sandra burnin test. As of this posting it is completing run #5. Going to see if it runs through the night. It never even made it to run #3 before.

Ok, the burnin test ran through the night, longest that PC has run in windows, it is currently on run #30. I never had a problem in Linux with this though so at first I was really unaware of the problem to this extent til just yesterday. The other guys PC I was mainly attributing it to where he had it located as it was a high heat area.

OK, burnin test ran for 12ish hrs before it hung up. Good IMO considering what it was doing.

So what are some good RAM brands that work well with this mainboard. Also, had ut2k3 running, and paused it for like 30min, and got a reboot again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom