ssd's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
hey guys. I'm super out of the loop on SSD's and I'm looking to pick one up for my programs os and games. I'm thinking like 60gb/64gb would do the trick, unless there are better ones that aren't that size.

I'd like to spend under $200. and I'm mostly going to do a reinstall of everything, and yeah I've got like 2.5tb's of regular hdd storage.

been busy with school and work. 20 hours a week and 5 classes (plus graduating) was more than enough to fill my plate. But now I'm done and will have some free time again (thank sweet baby jesus). I've heard good things about the vertex 3, and it's a good price. I just haven't been around the hardware world to make the executive decision myself haha.

Where've you been, Peter?

I have an OCZ Vertex 60GB SATA II in this system right now. No problems. And it's mighty fast. Oh, I have a OCZ Vertex 30GB in my Linux rig.

I can recommend this: Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I'm sure other people will recommend others. Just what I've used.
This, or if you want to spend a bit more get the 120GB version, or the Vertex 4 128GB for $149.

Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I have heard some really good things about the Vertex 4. OCZ is using homemade controllers which allows them to write and push out better firmware updates.

the vertex 4 looks real good. I may end up going with that one. Plus double the size for only $50 more. Can't complain about that. Thanks guys

I have heard some really good things about the Vertex 4. OCZ is using homemade controllers which allows them to write and push out better firmware updates.

It's actually not homemade, it's the same Marvel controller used in the Crucial M4 and Intel 510 but with a different firmware.

I'm going to go against the grain and recommend avoiding OCZ. Not only do they have the highest failure rate of the major SSD manufacturers but they have a higher failure rate then all of the hard drive manufacturers as well.

Intel, Samsung, and Crucial are the only way to go for a SSD. At the current prices you could easily get a 120gb drive with your budget.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

For the record I've owned 3 OCZ SSDs and still have two of them in regular use so I'm not a fanboy. However I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend OCZ doesn't have significant quality issues when I see data showing they do.

It's actually not homemade, it's the same Marvel controller used in the Crucial M4 and Intel 510 but with a different firmware.

I'm going to go against the grain and recommend avoiding OCZ. Not only do they have the highest failure rate of the major SSD manufacturers but they have a higher failure rate then all of the hard drive manufacturers as well.

Intel, Samsung, and Crucial are the only way to go for a SSD. At the current prices you could easily get a 120gb drive with your budget.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

For the record I've owned 3 OCZ SSDs and still have two of them in regular use so I'm not a fanboy. However I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend OCZ doesn't have significant quality issues when I see data showing they do.

Oh man, I forgot to put inb4 OCZ is ****.

He who sells the most is more likely to have more failure rates than he who prices too high. Food for thought. OCZ is mad popular and sell good stuff. I think over half the user base here has OCZ SSD with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom